034 --->036 Bailey's kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My friend's dad has an 034 AV Electronic Quickstop with a burnt piston and suspect cylinder (45mm). He went up to the same old guy I get parts from, but he didn't have anything. The local dealer wants an arm and a leg for a kit, and he doesn't want to spend that much to get it going again. So I told him I'd check out Bailey's as I was pretty sure they'd have something. Once I told him I could get an 036 P/C for under $150 shipped, he said he'd probably go that route. I just had a couple questions about it:

1. Anyone used the 036 one before, and if so have any comments? Most things I've read about their kits in general are positive. It's only a firewood saw that sees a couple or few dozen hours of use a year. I've read older threads regarding the pin clips breaking and tearing the P/C up bad. Has that been rectified, or should I just tell him to keep his existing Stihl clips?

2. I've read about the 034 muffler not fitting correctly and needing a spacer of some sort. Can anyone give me any specifics on this? Could the spacer be machined out of a piece of Aluminum plate if necessary?

3. Is a different head gasket needed, or is it exactly the same? His 034 gasket appears to be intact.

I assume the carb is the same or similar enough to work fine? It's not that much of a displacement increase.

Oh, for what it's worth, the cylinder is only scored BELOW the exhaust port, but he was complaining that the saw had low compression and wouldn't run. I wonder if it might be sucking air in the case somewhere? The P&C aren't really scored THAT badly, and the rings don't show any damage at all. At any rate I've seen many saws run with the top end in notably worse condition, so something just doesn't seem quite right. I'd hate to put a new top end on it just to have it burn up again.

Thanks for any info guys.

well i just last summer took apart the same exact saw and put in a baileys kit cause i had the same prob. the clips are fine and i use mine every day so go with baileys their just as good as stock but cheaper. trust me i gone both ways baileys is best they have awesome service and great shipping times not like my shop "i ordered a clutch cover cot almost eighty bucks took 10 days and it was the wrong part"

I can't answer the specific questions, but will offer this:

If you opt for the BB kit, you'll have to make sure the piston clears the base gasket. When working with 066/660s I noticed that some gaskets cleared, and some didn't. To get the squish and compression where I wanted it, I made my own gasket from brass sheet.

Some of my saws have aluminum heat deflectors between the cylinder and muffler, so aluminum should be fine for a spacer.

If the original cylinder will clean up, just get a new piston and rings. If the cylinder is shot, get the BB kit.

I converted my 034 into an 036 but used an OEM P/C kit vs. Bailey's. (check Ebay for OEM)

My muffler fit perfect. (however there seem to be a gazillion different mufflers that were used on the 034 family and I got lucky.)

Factory carburation worked just fine. I barely even needed to adjust the carb for the extra displacement.

I also had to modify the inside of the shroud to make it fit over the cylinder. <5 minutes using a Dremel. I don't know if this is also an issue with the Bailey's kit.

I really don't think you need a new P/C. Have you checked the boot and impulse hose for air leaks?

I just noticed something - the title of the Bailey's' page for the kit says 48mm, but the product info says the following:

Replacement piston and cylinder kit for Stihl chainsaws. This kit includes a piston, rings, pin, clips, and cylinder, all for one low price. Cylinder is chrome plated with a 44mm bore. We recommend purchasing our ring clamp set #10429, bearing (QA 9512 003 2340) and gasket set (call for details) when assembling this kit.

It wouldn't be the first typo I've seen there, so I'm assuming that's what it is. Because if the newer saws have a longer stroke and smaller piston, this kit won't work with my friend's saw.

Dave - yeah, the muffler thing is my only unknown here at this point. I guess all the changes are probably due to emissions restrictions changing over the saw's production run, but who knows. Seems they change more than anything else nowadays. At any rate, so far it looks like some people need a spacer between the muffler and cylinder, and some need spacers between the lower mounting holes and the case. Is this correct, and how can I tell? His is the old grille-style muffler, not the newer solid-front one. And yes, AFAIK the top shroud needs to be modded for the aftermarket cylinder too.

I haven't actually done any work to it at all, I just went over and looked at it quickly so I could measure the piston diameter. The piston is definitely not worth re-using. It might get by for a while but it is damaged enough to warrant replacing. On the other hand the cylinder could probably get by with a good honing. But de told me that for that price he'd be interested in just replacing the whole works rather than $60 for just the piston (after shipping), so I dunno what'll end up happening yet. He's fully capable of doing all the work himself, he's just an older gentleman who is the type that wouldn't be caught dead using a computer, so I told him I'd find the parts for him. I'd just hate to have the 036 kit come only to have to turn around and spend more on a new muffler, or not being able to find/make the aforementioned spacer.

Last edited:
I converted my 034 into an 036 but used an OEM P/C kit vs. Bailey's. (check Ebay for OEM)

My muffler fit perfect. (however there seem to be a gazillion different mufflers that were used on the 034 family and I got lucky.)

Factory carburation worked just fine. I barely even needed to adjust the carb for the extra displacement.

I also had to modify the inside of the shroud to make it fit over the cylinder. <5 minutes using a Dremel. I don't know if this is also an issue with the Bailey's kit.

I really don't think you need a new P/C. Have you checked the boot and impulse hose for air leaks?

see now thats the diff. between standard 034 and 034 av super. see when i orderd my part from bailey's i picked the super and found out when i got the piston it said 036 then looked on (stihlusa.com) for displacement and found out that it has all the 036 parts but in a 034 body and stock just something i hope helps

The Bailey's kit is a 48mm bore. Trimming your 034 shroud is necessary regardless if you go with the Bailey's kit or OEM (same deal as when you put an 026 cylinder on an 024 frame, you have to trim one of the cooling fins on the top of the 026 cylinder to clear the 024 shroud.)

You may need the spacer, part # 1122 145 1200 if it's the early 034 with the 'shallow' muffler.

It sounds to me like you should try to get either a Meteor or other high quality piston (even oem if you have to, though expensive) and rering. Bailey's kits are great for bringing an old saw back to life, but in this case it sounds like you could get by with just a piston(and ring) replacement.
:cheers:

well i just last summer took apart the same exact saw and put in a baileys kit cause i had the same prob. the clips are fine and i use mine every day so go with baileys their just as good as stock but cheaper. trust me i gone both ways baileys is best they have awesome service and great shipping times not like my shop "i ordered a clutch cover cot almost eighty bucks took 10 days and it was the wrong part"

Do some searching on this site and you will see that while some have had luck with the after market stuff, some have not.

Yes, they are cheaper, but they are not even close to as good as OEM.

The biggest problem seems to be QC, as there really is none, and trust me, it's needed.

The BB kits are on the third generation, and they are still having issues with them.

Do some searching on this site and you will see that while some have had luck with the after market stuff, some have not.

Yes, they are cheaper, but they are not even close to as good as OEM.

The biggest problem seems to be QC, as there really is none, and trust me, it's needed.

The BB kits are on the third generation, and they are still having issues with them.

As in most cases, you get what you pay for. The cheap aftermarket kits will easily cut more than enough wood to pay for themselves, but are doubtfully up to spec for the demanding pro.

As in most cases, you get what you pay for. The cheap aftermarket kits will easily cut more than enough wood to pay for themselves, but are doubtfully up to spec for the demanding pro.

They are without a doubt, a DIY thing.

I've done one, because I was begged to do it, and the saw is a sick pig! Some of the kits had huge problems with the combustion chamber volumes being too big, the rings are junk, the pin clips, although now they look to be the stock type, have had problems, the piston pins aren't a tapered design, and are heavy, etc. etc. etc.....

I really wish they were better than they are, because I could save a lot of saws and make some labor too!

well im not what you would call a "pro" but i do put my baileys rebuilt saw through a lot more wood than most people would in a day.but i guess i got a lucky fit.my saw cut over a grand in wood so next i am buyin a 660 :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back