036 Pro Cold Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 036 won't fire from cold unless the air filter is removed, then it starts as it should. Two pulls, fire, knock off choke, one pull, start and idle. Put the air filter back on, and you're right for the day.

Starts one pull when warm, runs sweet as, all good except for cold starting.

Had this glitch since new. Carby kit, new air filter, fuel pickup, etc. made no difference. Saw has done less than 100 hours so it's still like new.

Searched all over this site (seems every second guy has an 036) no luck finding similar problem.

Any suggestions?

seems to me that I have seen this ,the choke shudder somehow hangs up on the filter and does not close properly.try not over tightening the filter.or your switch or metal choke lever may be worn.

Yep... I'm betting the choke rod is either the wrong one or is fouling on the filter. Watch it carefully when operating...

Excellent advice guys, thanks. Held front half of air filter in place on carb, tried choke operation. Couldn't find any hangups, etc. but in the process noticed choke shutter stayed open a fraction.

Adjusted choke rod so shutter closed fully. Air filter on, fired after three pulls, choke off, started second pull. Hope it stays that way.

Thanks again for pointing me somewhere near the right direction.

My 025 is similar if its not been used for a week or so i need to pour fuel throught the carb, And then it starts and runs great until left for a week again Grr
My mates 034 wont cold start until the outer orange air filter cover is taken off then its fine all day!

Just got this years price list for Stihl - the 390 is gone (the others in that series never were here, as far as I know).

The MS361 still is a bargain, and the 441 a lot cheaper than the 372xp - but that clumsy creation leaves me totally cold anyway......:censored:

Imo/Ime, the MS250 series is total POS, but they still are offeed here, at way to high prices.

The MS260 pro cost about as the Husky 353 on campaign - I would stay away from both - even though they both are food saws, the NE346xp beats them both badly!!!!.

The MS660 still cost about the same as the 372xp -I have no regrets about taking the 372xp from Santa......

Last edited:
The MS361 still is a bargain said:
a lot [/I]cheaper than the 372xp - but that clumsy creation leaves me totally cold anyway......:censored:

clumsy creation...lmao. Run one before commenting Mr Troll, all due respect, they are a nice saw, but I agree the weight is more than optimal. Seriously man, I liked mine, and would buy another if I needed it.

Latest posts

Back