036 ring end gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
good morning. I'm installing a NOS top end on my 036 today. the service manual makes no mention at all about ring end gap that I can find. as a lifelong MX bike rider and former racer this is a big deal in that world. I've installed new top ends on 2 strokes and had to file many rings that came new way out of spec.

I've done a search and found nothing definitive. one guy says .002 per inch of bore and another guy says .006 per inch of bore. I know what wiseco says for dirt bikes per inch of bore but that is for water cooled 2 strokes with forged pistons.

anyone have a source for this spec?

good morning. I'm installing a NOS top end on my 036 today. the service manual makes no mention at all about ring end gap that I can find. as a lifelong MX bike rider and former racer this is a big deal in that world. I've installed new top ends on 2 strokes and had to file many rings that came new way out of spec.

I've done a search and found nothing definitive. one guy says .002 per inch of bore and another guy says .006 per inch of bore. I know what wiseco says for dirt bikes per inch of bore but that is for water cooled 2 strokes with forged pistons.

anyone have a source for this spec?
There were threads on this but the search function here sucks.

I can't recall myself. Check it anyway, you need "enough".

A Husky piston scoring guide gives a wear limit of 1.0mm/0.040"

did some further reading on other forums. .004" gap per inch of bore seems to be the consensus. there is also a "how to" on the wolf creek saw shop that recommends .004" per inch of bore diameter.

Nothing here helps answer the question? Whats the point of typing....
Point being if you have nearly no gap bad things are going to happen when it runs. The OP has rebuilt engines and has a ballpark idea of correct gap. I provided a "worn out" value from a Husqvarna piston analysis guide to use as a comparison..

So how have You helped? Not a bit besides whining.

Latest posts

Back