038 Bing Fix You Might Want To Know About

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
was working on dads 038 this morning and just could not get fuel to it for anything so I went to my friendly local saw shop and let the man check it out I told him what I had determined and he pulled on it a few times to no avail he thn put the bar in the vise and took off the air filter he then put his thumb over the carb. and pulled TWICE!!!!!!! and it took off I couldnt believe it he then tached it and adjusted carb slightly starts and runs fine now

Now for the explaination this saw hasn been run in a couple years so he thought more than likely the inlet needle was stuck the "thumb trick" will create just enough vacuum to pop it loose seemed to do the trick while I was there he shortened a chain and i got a sprocket for my bro inlaws deere saw
my total bill $4.50 for the sprocket thats all great shop

was working on dads 038 this morning and just could not get fuel to it for anything so I went to my friendly local saw shop and let the man check it out I told him what I had determined and he pulled on it a few times to no avail he thn put the bar in the vise and took off the air filter he then put his thumb over the carb. and pulled TWICE!!!!!!! and it took off I couldnt believe it he then tached it and adjusted carb slightly starts and runs fine now

Now for the explaination this saw hasn been run in a couple years so he thought more than likely the inlet needle was stuck the "thumb trick" will create just enough vacuum to pop it loose seemed to do the trick while I was there he shortened a chain and i got a sprocket for my bro inlaws deere saw
my total bill $4.50 for the sprocket thats all great shop

Hmmm interesting. I'd say your choke isn't working properly. Check that air filter closely. If the choke flap is closing all the way it should give the same effect as your mans thumb over the carb. 038's are known for another trick about the choke as well. If you ever encounter it you will never forget it..

Hmmm interesting. I'd say your choke isn't working properly. Check that air filter closely. If the choke flap is closing all the way it should give the same effect as your mans thumb over the carb. 038's are known for another trick about the choke as well. If you ever encounter it you will never forget it..

he said the plastic choke flap doesnt seal perfect thats why the perfect seal of the "thumb" worked starts fine now I started it tonight after about 8 hours and factory choke worked fine

Now about this other trick :monkey: elaborate please:cry:

he said the plastic choke flap doesnt seal perfect thats why the perfect seal of the "thumb" worked starts fine now I started it tonight after about 8 hours and factory choke worked fine

Now about this other trick :monkey: elaborate please:cry:

The little spring that holds the choke flap will sometime come unhooked. When it happens the choke flap gets sucked shut and the saw floods like a hurricane. Whenever your 038 constantly floods check that choke flap..

The little spring that holds the choke flap will sometime come unhooked. When it happens the choke flap gets sucked shut and the saw floods like a hurricane. Whenever your 038 constantly floods check that choke flap..

I can see that being an issue I will remember that thanks

You are lucky; the Bing 48 I worked on recently, in an 038 Mag, had the needle valve stuck so firmly, that I had to pry it out with a screwdriver. It had set too many years with fuel in the carb. In fact, I had to cut the gaskets loose with a knife, to get the covers off; before I could even get to the needle. I soaked it in kerosene for two days; and, now waiting on a rebuild kit.

Back