044 and 046 crank case ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was gonna have the bearings replaced on my 044 but I see the cheap stihl parts man has the whole bottom end in excellent condition for about the same price as bearings and seals. Problem is that it is for an 046. I am assuming it will not work for my 044 but want to check with the experts. Is the 046 a bigger case? what parts will match up? I know some time ago I saw Lakeside or someone parted together 2 of these saws but I think it was more plastic than anything.

Yes I believe there are a few differences. The overall crankcase is wider on an 046 so I'm not sure if the 044 muffler would bolt up. The chainbrake is also wider so the chainbrake wouldn't work either. I believe the 046's/ms460's also used m6 cylinder bolts instead of m5's. I haven't played with any 044/046's for a long time. I believe andy put an 046 gas tank on an 044.

Thanks, Kind of figured that cause my 460 is noticably heavier than my 044 but was hoping the weight was comming from other places.

Latest posts

Back