064 starts cold but........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
da new feller

da new feller

ArboristSite Member
hey, i recently picked up a used 064. the problem i'm running into is after i run it for 10-15 min or more and shut it down for a couple mins. the damn thing won't start. i wind the plug out and it's wet with fuel. i can take a lighter to it and burn off the fuel then shove it back in and it fires right up. i'm not to sure of the previous owners competence or the "new" stihl dealer in my area. i've been told that the low and high should should each be out 1 full turn and not to lean it out any more than that. i don't appear to have a lean problem. any ideas or directions to go from here? another thing is at high r's it starts bogging. is there a norm when it comes to carb adjustments or does each saw have it's own preferrence. maybe a hotter plug? this dealer here told me stihl recommends 1 plug only and not to go hotter. maybe you could reccommend gaps for the ignition also, as it appears to be a secret around here or nobody knows. i was also told the poor performance could be caused by running a 32" bar on it but it runs the same with a 20" 25" 28" & the 32" bars. as far as the fuel i use, 1 bottle stihl mix to treat 1 gallon of gas. and i put 1.0 gals. of super unleaded fuel in can w/oil. exactly 1.0 gals.

thank you, and ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jon

Last edited:
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
There is only one plug for the stihl saws. Don't use anything else..

The saw is either running too rich (H and or L) or, the carb is leaking into the inlet after you stop it. The former is adjustment; the later means a carb rebuild and most likely an outlet valve replacement.

I assume you know not to use the choke when hot, but to just engage the high speed interlock?

1 turn out is only at sea level. What altitude are you at?

da new feller

da new feller

ArboristSite Member

hi, thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question.

i do use the high speed interlock. i live at about 398' and most of my work is at the same elevation +/- couple hundred feet. when i bought this saw the rubber boot from carb to engine had a split in it, i found this out first time i fired it up and it about scared the hell out of me. so i replaced with a new one. at this point it was very hard to start. but even with out adjusting carb it seems every time i use it it runs a little better and starts easier except when it hot. one of my thoughts on the wet plug is after i had run it for a few minutes on day i was getting irritated and decided to pull the carb off. when i slipped the fuel line off gas sprayed out under some pretty serious pressure. being not too familiar with these 2 strokes i figured i'd compare this with my 034av super. so i ran the 34 for a few and pull the fuel line off the carb. and it appeared to have a considerable amount less pressure than the 64. is it common to build up alot of pressure like this in the tank? what would you recommend for gaps on ignition componets?

once again, i appreciate you taking the time. jon

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Pressure in the tank is normal and good... but check your tank vent is clear anyhow.

You may have other problems if it's hard to start... Bad seals.. or plain old low compression. If the boot was split and the saw was used like this, the piston may be in poor shapre. Pull the muffler and tell us what you see.

daemon2525

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
You did not answer Lakes question. You're not using the Choke on a warm start, Correct?

You might try starting it without locking the trigger or choking it. Just turn the switch on and give it a yank.

da new feller

da new feller

ArboristSite Member

hey daemon, i thought i answeared that question in the first sentence by saying i use the high speed interlock.?.?

but anyway, when i get back tonight i'll check that piston and get back to you with my findings. thanks again, this saw has really been pissing me off lately.

jon :rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts