11 tooth drive sproket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevethekiwi

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
ok so im a real tight a$$.

i want some extra chain speed on the 395 20" setup. I have a tonne of old 11 tooth 3/8 RSN tips... can you see where im going with this...?

Tonight im going to break out the mig, pull apart the old tips and use the sproket to weld up some 11t drive sprokets. Ill be using the centre from an old 7 tooth. pics to come tomorrow.

Anyone done this before?

STK

Or buy one. But then, if you have the ability, go for it. I want to know how well it works for sure. Turn up the oiler.

This a modified piped saw, maybe on alcohol?

If not, you will likely find 11 too much gear. 9 yes, 10 maybe with good chain.

Welding to sintered metal sprockets is touch and go at best.

I like lake's thinking, DIY turn them up on a lathe and put the pin locations in with an indexing wheel or rotory table on a mill. Only trouble is putting the drive splines in broaching tools are not so common, but with patients the splines could be filed.

Last edited:
unfortunately no one in nz sells sprokets larger than 8t... and i dont have a mill or a lathe! if someone has a contact for larger sprokets let me know.

didnt get time to weld last night, will keep you posted. saw is a work in progress, this is not my work saw :) im fairly confident it will run 11t with a 20" bar :D:D:D just not in big wood.

Yep, even at that price can't see it being worth while to attemp to make one, unless you had lots of time on your hands.

No idea how you could come up with one without at least a lathe to work with.

I had to trim the chip deflector a bit to get a 9 pin under the cover of my 372... is there more space under a 660's cover?

Ian

No idea how you could come up with one without at least a lathe to work with.

lol call it kiwi engineering. only reason lake moved to the USA is cos he heard that you guys have tools that are not made in someones back yard!

i have it on good authority that andy once make a lathe from an old egg beater in his younger years...

Here are a few pictures. The first is a 11 pim 12 pin and 13 pin rim. The other is a 11 pin rim next to a large Husky mount. You can see how biig it is. The 11 pin rim is $32.40 from Madsens.

Bill

Latest posts

Back