361 idle or port problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

041fboss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 361 with a muffler port...and the intake and exhaust port opened up... my problem is that it sounds like it has a 700 lift cam in it at idle and dies all the time..ive adjusted the carb a couple of times but cant seem to get it...any advice would be helpfull....

I have a 361 with a muffler port...and the intake and exhaust port opened up... my problem is that it sounds like it has a 700 lift cam in it at idle and dies all the time..ive adjusted the carb a couple of times but cant seem to get it...any advice would be helpfull....

Did you do the port work? If so how did you go about it?

yes i did the port work.. i widend the intake and exhaust ports about 40 thous.

Hmm, wouldn't think that would be too far. You didn't go past the skirt edge or anything? Did you raise any of the ports?

no...didnt go past the skirt edge and did not raise or lower any ports...just widend

sometimes it idles great....then cut a log sit it down and it starts lopen.

How big did you go? did you put the screren in? Without the screen and a larger pipe, the idle isn,t great

My version of this chainsaw has a funky carb. It seems to have two stages at idle, a high and a low. The trick is to get the high idle low enough to keep the chain from moving and the low idle high enough to keep it from conking out. It is a delicate balance. Try resetting your carb or put the stock muffler back onto the saw and see if it solves your problem. If all else fails, just accept the obvious and dont idle the saw. Shut it off and restart.

My version of this chainsaw has a funky carb. It seems to have two stages at idle, a high and a low. The trick is to get the high idle low enough to keep the chain from moving and the low idle high enough to keep it from conking out. It is a delicate balance. Try resetting your carb or put the stock muffler back onto the saw and see if it solves your problem. If all else fails, just accept the obvious and dont idle the saw. Shut it off and restart.

That would certainly have too suck. Unless it's for show and not a work saw it needs too idle. I hate (I know, thats a strong word) a saw that won't idle. If it doesn't idle, it gets fixed or it gets gone.

Back