390XP Carb Adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody know the stock setting for the L jet on the 390/385 saws?

I was taking the limiter cap off of the high jet, when I noticed that there was none on the L....and I stupidly turned it a few times to make sure....and now I don't remember at all where it was....and I can't get the saw started!!!

Please help a dumbaZZ!

I'm still in the dark here. I set the L jet to 1 turn out, emptied the saw of raw fuel in the cylinder, even changed plugs. I can't get this thing started.

I did see some faint smoke a couple of times. Does this pretty much mean I have spark?

On the carb for the 372:s the jets are different between the limited carb and the non limited carb, try to turn the L out a ½ turn extra and see if it starts !?

In my opinion....Should have brought back to the dealer for warranty. Saws coming from the factory are sometimes set at a really high RPM....I was told this is for EPA testing. If you elect not; Remove the hi-speed limiter (lo-speed doesn't't have a limiter) using a small self tapping screw. Be careful not to damage the plastic housing when pull the cap out. Turn both jets in carefully until they stop. Turn both jets out out 1 1/2 turns; fill tank at least 1/2 full; saw should fire in 2-5 pulls. Warm up saw 10-15 minutes; Adjust the lo-speed til throttle response is smooth and snappy; adjust idle; if using a tach set at 12,500...turn the hi-speed in an additional 3/8 turn. Readjust lo-speed and idle. Pop limiter cap back on. If you can't achieve a steady 12,500...tach is still all over the place...coil is bad. If you can't start the saw....pull the muffler off and check the piston for lean damage or saw might be grossly flooded gas in crankcase.

I'm still in the dark here. I set the L jet to 1 turn out, emptied the saw of raw fuel in the cylinder, even changed plugs. I can't get this thing started.

I did see some faint smoke a couple of times. Does this pretty much mean I have spark?
YOU PROBLY FLODED IT REAL BAD SO AJUST THE H AND L TO 1TURN FROM CLOSED. IF YOUR SEING SMOKE THAT MEAN YOU HAVE FIRE WHAT I WOULD DO IS LET IT AIR OUT FORE A WHILE THEN TRY TO GET IT STARTED AGAIN,

Thanks to all who offered advice.

I left the saw alone overnight Friday, and it still would not pop over Saturday so it went back to the dealer. I think the coil was defective and I've got no spark. It was pretty shady from the start. I'll post again when I hear something from the dealer.

How much use would it likely take to score a piston? I doubt this has happened, but I do wonder. I burned less than a tank of gas through the saw.

not to be the berer of bad news but it might have been hurt but time will tell hopefully it is not hurt though. good luck

Update

Defective coil and no spark. I feel ok about that since it was not my fault I could not get the saw started......but I still have a bit of a sore neck from yarding on it so much....and that puts me right back in my place:monkey:

Well you learned a few things didn't you? Better than burning down your saw. While at the dealers, make sure (have them demonstrate), the saw now operates like it should. Ask to see a tach reading. You're spending long green on this, no reputable dealer would deny you such.

Good thing this happened at the beginning too. Now it should run like crazy forever.

Well you learned a few things didn't you? Better than burning down your saw. While at the dealers, make sure (have them demonstrate), the saw now operates like it should. Ask to see a tach reading. You're spending long green on this, no reputable dealer would deny you such.

Good thing this happened at the beginning too. Now it should run like crazy forever.

I did learn a couple of things from this situation, you're right. So far this dealer has been very responsive and frankly apologetic about the saw. That said, I am going to have to see it fire up when I'm out there. I don't think that will be a problem as the tech tried to start it in the store (this is a ranch supply type of store) when I brought it in. If the saw had started, people would have run over each other getting to the door!!:dizzy:

conclusion

Got my saw back today after a new ignition module. It runs great! I set the H jet for about 12350 rpm, which I will use until I get 10 or so tanks burned. The dealer gets high marks in my book. I was notified by email each time there was an update, and even with ordering a part I got the saw back in less than a week.

Here in a couple of weeks, Dean from WPS is making me an opened up muffler, so more fun is close at hand! Maybe by then I can break the saw in and turn the rpms up.

Thanks guys.

Got my saw back today after a new ignition module. It runs great! I set the H jet for about 12350 rpm, which I will use until I get 10 or so tanks burned. The dealer gets high marks in my book. I was notified by email each time there was an update, and even with ordering a part I got the saw back in less than a week.

Here in a couple of weeks, Dean from WPS is making me an opened up muffler, so more fun is close at hand! Maybe by then I can break the saw in and turn the rpms up.

Thanks guys.
Im glad it turned out alright. That saw should last a long time. have fun

Latest posts

Back