394, 395 or 3120 - CSM saw.....3120 ?'s too

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If I go the CSM route which saw would you recommend? Here's my thoughts:

394 - older, cheaper, most of them are either rebuilt or need rebuilt. May need wortk to handle CSM duty....but there's one on the Tradin Post now

395 - This is what I originally wanted, but can't find one reasonably - don't want a heavily modded one really

3120 - Found a guy who has one - here's the story - he bought it from a guy in CO who used it on a CSM. No idea how long this CO guy used it or what he did to it. THis fella in FL bought it - took it to a small engines shop and "they gave it a once over and started it for him" he said. That was the last time it was started and that was 4 years ago. I can get the 3120 and a 36" Alaskan for a good price, but don't want to have to rebuild the whole thing.

THe guy is gonna get the SN for me. Hopefully pics too. I've asked him to drain the mix, refill and see if it'll start, but who knows if he'll do it.

Me thinks keep looking for a good 395.....just cause I'm hesitant about buying the 3120 sight unseen from some random guy on CL AND it's been sitting for 4 years.

oh, biggest stuff I'll be milling is 44-48" hardwood, but it's an addiction so you never know :)

Thoughts? Experiences?

394s and 395s are very similar saws. Age of the saw is no real measure of the use it has had. Can't advise about the 3120, never used or owned one.

There was a pretty good looking 395 in the trading post also. To mill something that large a 3120 woudl probably be the best unless it is a couple pieces and then everything else is smaller. A 394/5 would be better if you wanted to use it off the mill also. I handled a 390, 395, and a 3120 at a dealer when I bought my 390. The 3120 felt like a cinder block compared to the other two.

I just knew it would be a matter of time before you wanted a big saw. lol

My thoughts the 394/395xp is enough to run a mill and can do double duty as a big saw. I know the 3120xp can double as a big saw too, but I can swing a 395xp all day just fine. I can only swing a 3120xp a few hours before I'm looking for a reason to go home.

I you plan on just mill use only than 3120xp. If you think you might want to use to for a big saw part of the time 394/395xp.

Also I love my 395xp and 312xp and also my big Stihl, but the only big saw that has really impressed me is my 2100cd.
I've also thought that the 2100cd would be a good ph for a mill for Lewis winch. They are good 2100cd/298/2101's to be found for cheap still. Down side to them, finding parts.

If I were to buy one of the three it would be the 3120. The saw can handle the abuse better. Heaver clutch, crank, and more feasible rpm range in the bigger wood.

My thoughts the 394/395xp is enough to run a mill and can do double duty as a big saw. I know the 3120xp can double as a big saw too, but I can swing a 395xp all day just fine. I can only swing a 3120xp a few hours before I'm looking for a reason to go home.

I you plan on just mill use only than 3120xp. If you think you might want to use to for a big saw part of the time 394/395xp.

Also I love my 395xp and 312xp and also my big Stihl, but the only big saw that has really impressed me is my 2100cd.
I've also thought that the 2100cd would be a good ph for a mill for Lewis winch. They are good 2100cd/298/2101's to be found for cheap still. Down side to them, finding parts.

HAH!!! Yeah it's on now! If i indeed go the CSM route, I'll get a big saw - if not then a BSM.....but ZI'll always wonder what that 395/ 3120 was like :)

I like the 395 idea for that reason too - it could be used elsewhere (ie: not strictly a mill saw) and won't wear your azz out after 5 minutes.

Sounds like in your specific case, the 3120 is the way to go. Just looking at the circumstances, I have no experience with 3120, and only minimal experience with my 394. I would feel the extra weight of the 3120 is negated in your specific use, and the extra displacement an advantage.

The 2100 is a good milling saw and if you don't mind the weight its a great falling/bucking saw. (they'll be prying mine from my cold dead fingers) It weighs about the same as the 3120 but is a smaller package and handles much, much better. The power characteristics are just wonderful. I keep mine with a 7 pin and 32" full comp round chisel. Flies through even very tough wood like a laser beam. 2100s have an auto oiler and a manual oiler that's easy to use and can keep plenty of oil on the bar and chain.

My 3120 clearly beats the 2100 once you get past about 24 inch wood (milling, not other cutting). The 3120 pulls a 42" bar in a full cut like its a big diesel tractor. In smaller wood its aggravating because of constantly bouncing off the rev limiter unless you keep pushing it pretty hard. That makes more work for you and its less fun to cut because there is more rasslin' with the saw. For use as a falling/bucking saw the 3120 sucks bad until the wood is really big, same problem as in milling. It cuts, but is unpleasant to use, especially if you have a nice saw to compare it to. But again, it pulls a long bar in big wood like crazy. It does have an extra oiler lever that really puts out the oil.

I like extra oil for milling and suggest that you get an additional oiler for your milling set-up --especially-- if you get a saw that does not have the extra oiler built-in.

If you don't have another good sized saw now, buying two used big saws is a good move, maybe better than one new one. Taking the mill on and off is a pain. Being able to have another big saw to trim up a big log is really handy. You're not hauling the saw around all day so weight is not that big a factor and older powerful saws are fine.

Banshee (or I) can hook you up with some guys not too far from you who can fix older saws. They fixed my 2100 after it got a bad case of ethanol poisoning. They know big saws.

If you can get that CL deal on the 3120 with a mill included for pretty cheap, then do it. Then maybe look for a second big saw to back it up.

I use my 3120 as a mill rig. Not a big fan of the external clutch and chain adjustment. Other than that, it's a great saw.

I have owned all three. If it is going to be a multi purpose saw go with the 395. The carb isolator on the 395 keeps it cooler and there are more aftermarket parts available. Otherwise the 3120. The oiler set up on the 3120 is better for the long bars. Clutch is also much stronger.

Latest posts

Back