455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Posting for a buddy
He got the side cover off while the brake was on and can't get it back on. Is this the same as Stihl where you can rest the brake while off the saw and just but back on just like usual?
Sorry for the novice question, but I have no advise for him, other than, can you reset while off the saw.
Thanks.
Chad

Brake

Have him pull the brake handle back while off the saw and it should slide right back over the drive sprocket. This is how my 55 Rancher works,

Last edited:
Posting for a buddy
He got the side cover off while the brake was on and can't get it back on. Is this the same as Stihl where you can rest the brake while off the saw and just but back on just like usual?
Sorry for the novice question, but I have no advise for him, other than, can you reset while off the saw.
Thanks.
Chad

take the handle off the saw and use it to engage / disengage as needed.

a vice comes in handy to hold the cover

It does suck when you pull off the cover and accidentally snap the brake on..I usually use a pair of pliers stuck into the little disc thing to disengage it. WOrks every time so far.

lol... a bit mexican but that works too

Ive usually got a pair of pliers in my pocket, or on the bench, and they slide right in, no removing handles or anything...quick twist and it snaps over.

Honestly its a kinda dumb design..Really wish they'd done it differently.

Thanks guys,
I told him to check here for the posts. Hopefully he can get it back on.
Chad

Usually with the inboard brake handle design huskys it's just a question of lining the handle up with the brake and pulling it back, but I had one (a 455) in the shop a few days back and it wouldnt move.. actually thought the linkage was jammed. Eventually one of the other guys got it back with a lot of work though.

Usually with the inboard brake handle design huskys it's just a question of lining the handle up with the brake and pulling it back, but I had one (a 455) in the shop a few days back and it wouldnt move.. actually thought the linkage was jammed. Eventually one of the other guys got it back with a lot of work though.

I used the best part of an hour and a few beers to fix it, when I made that mistake on my 353......:givebeer:

Ive usually got a pair of pliers in my pocket, or on the bench, and they slide right in, no removing handles or anything...quick twist and it snaps over.

Honestly its a kinda dumb design..Really wish they'd done it differently.

:agree2: - but one mistake is enough to know what to do if it happens again, but I have never repeated it.........

Last edited:
I used the best part of an hour and a few beers to fix it, when I made that mistake on my 353......:givebeer:

I understand 59 min drinking beer, having a nap scraching your back while waking up, steppimg onto the piece of sh€€t... cover that you let fall onto the ground while trying to become sobber again and voila it pops back in again!!!

I love those miracle repairs that let you amaze at our inner knowledge(never to repeted again).
:jawdrop:
7sleeper

Back