460 vs 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memetic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know they are worlds apart, but I picked up a 041 for $100 not too long ago and am thinking about selling it and finally getting the 460 that I have been putting on the backburner for some time. Besides all the differences the biggest concern I have is having a chain break (the 041 I have doesn't have one).

I just want some opinions to make this decision easier. I was thinking of installing a break on the 041 instead of picking up a new saw. I haven't checked prices for that yet.

Something tells me I should just sell the 041 for $300 and buy the 460.

$300 for the 041 is more then what they bring unless their immaculate. So sell it if you can get it. The 041 AV is a good saw and will reliably get a lot of work done. If its the AV I'd keep it unless you get that great price. Say you buy a new 460 and it gets run over by a tree or something , unless you have a fatter bank account then mine you will wish you had an extra decent saw to get you by.

The 460 goes for $860 around here (new from dealer).

edit: I have the 041 AV Super.

Last edited:
I never run the 041 super ,just the standard version which is more then enough but ideal with a 20" bar. If you want to run bigger then 25" I'd look to the 460 or if your power hungry and you want to step up , otherwise mabe something like the 361 w/ the 41super as backup with a bigger bar , but if some one gives you $300 I'd take it, as long as you have enough $ for the upgrade.

I just thru $300 out there cause that's what I saw on craigyslist. If I sold it for $200 I would double my money. I'd be happy just selling it for what I got it for ($100) cause I'm sure I'm better off with the 460 at this point.

I've had my fun with the saw, but I want the break before the fun is over.

edit: ie before not having a break ends the fun.

Last edited:
Keep the 041 as backup and buy a used 460 or 440 if you can find one. I agree you probably won't get $300 for it.....keep it, if it saves you from running to the saw shop at a bad time it will pay for itself.

I just thru $300 out there cause that's what I saw on craigyslist. If I sold it for $200 I would double my money. I'd be happy just selling it for what I got it for ($100) cause I'm sure I'm better off with the 460 at this point.

Chain brakes for the 041 turn up on eBay from time to time. I bought mine for $40 or so. You'll need the newer style hand guard as well if you don't have that already. The old style attaches directly to the bar, the new style attaches to the front of the top cover.

If it were me, I'd keep the 041 as a backup to the 460.

How many PM's have you got offering you $100 for that now ?

Latest posts

Back