540,000 miles on a mack, should I avoid it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just looked a 1993 single axle mack truck with contractors dump box. I didn't have time to drive it but plan on doing so next week. It was pretty clean and had a nice box but the odometer showed 540,000 miles. It had a mack 300hp engine. It was obviously an over the road or delivery truck of some kind prevously because of the huge saddle tanks. Is the mack diesel a good engine? The owner thought it had never been overhauled. What are your thoughts on the mack engine with that kind of mileage?

It is all about the use, abuse, care and servicing that it has had. Many trucks are going a million miles now. Drive it and do an oil sample. Get more details and check with a place that works on the specific engine that is in the truck, it could be one of many types of engines.

I just looked a 1993 single axle mack truck with contractors dump box. I didn't have time to drive it but plan on doing so next week. It was pretty clean and had a nice box but the odometer showed 540,000 miles. It had a mack 300hp engine. It was obviously an over the road or delivery truck of some kind prevously because of the huge saddle tanks. Is the mack diesel a good engine? The owner thought it had never been overhauled. What are your thoughts on the mack engine with that kind of mileage?
Moe I have a mack with over a million miles and it runs strong
diesels run forever clean fuel, water and air filter ,and oil that
mack if serviced is just broke in!

That 300 mack is a damn good engine. The old 237 macks would run and run. I bought one with 740,000 miles to haul our bulldozer back in 1991 and kept it 10 years never one problem.

That 300 mack is a damn good engine. The old 237 macks would run and run. I bought one with 740,000 miles to haul our bulldozer back in 1991 and kept it 10 years never one problem.

That's great to hear. How is parts pricing with mack? I am going to see if I can take it for a few hours next week and pull it into my shop to really look it over.

Mac engines and drive train 2nd to non for durability. Have 2003 379 Pete with splicer drive line lots of fixing and yes everything is expencive.

Mac fun to drive as long as your friends don't catch you in them:biggrinbounce2:

If the truck is clean who cares about milage? I haven't ever driven a truck that the odomiter worked the entire time on so usually they end up getting a hub counter at some point anyway........I wouldn't ever even consider milage when buying a truck......if it runs good with no blow by there is nothing to worry about...if it doesn't run well tell them to knock the price of a newer engine off of it and buy it anyway........ those older macs are a rough ride though.......hope there isn't many long distance trips in your future.

Hi - I used to repair trucks before I discovered chainsaws... that Mac engine is quite reliable. A driver who was bad with no regular servicing would get 600,000 before we have to rebuild the engine. 800,000 - 1mil can be expected with regular service. Gear box is near invincable unless your apprentice forgets to fill it up with oil (it still gets 150miles before the gears fall out!)

Common problem with that engine is the cylinder liners. If shes noisey when cold (similar noise to tappets, but louder and a deeper pitch) then the noise goes away in about a minute, walk away. With time, once the liner lifts far enough it lets coolant into the oil and KABLAMO prepare for a quick conrod inspection cos its peering at you from the side of the block. Other than that, a fantastic motor.

If the price is right buy. As long as you don't mind looking at a dogs bum all day!

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back