550 homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dre100

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A Guy I know wants me to work on his homelite 550 it will try to start some times I think it is electrical problem it has good compression and will not kick with gas in the carb and new plug it has the coil over the spark plug is there a easy way to tell if it is coil or hei unit thanx Don

whell with those homelites of that era they had a bad problem with the rubber boot that went from the carb to the engine block rotting. most of the time it would nto be totaly gone but a small hole just enough to let air leak.

Did you pull the plug and hold it against the cylinder head to ground it and pull the engine over to see if there is any spark?

Hi Don, Let me start off buy saying that the 550 is a great saw and one of my favorites. Like Homelite360 said that the intake manifold booty is that saws weakness. Also you may want to check the carb pulse line to the crankcase. That cap that covers the plug is a transformer which is a coil. The only way to check it is to tape a small neon bulb onto the back of it and turn the saw over, the bulb should light up like a spark plug. I found some bulbs at a place called bulbtronics, check the internet for their number. They only cost pennies. Good Luck, let me know if your buddy wantes to sell it, Jonathan:D

All to often the 360's rubber 'connector' tears when the rubber isolators have worn out. There are 2 different kinds of isolators...reg & firmer. The first one to fail is usually the one next to the bar.

Latest posts

Back