575xp rebuild question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am about to put together a new piston and cylinder on a 575XP. Going to do the gasket delete. I checked the squish and it was .028 without the gasket. What kind of sealer should I use between the cylinder and Case? Looking on this site a lot of people like the Loctite 518, but I do not see on it anywhere that It is high temp, or compatible with gasoline. The Permatex Motoseal says it is good for 400°F and is fuel resistant. Which one should I use?

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Loctite is the least suitable as it doesn’t take up any imperfection or slight warping. It’s good on perfectly machined surfaces.

Motoseal is decent, but lots of people have a problem with it not curing it also has a very short work time

Dirko is one of the best, made by Elring, but very expensive and clean up is messy. Its acetic acid cure so stinks. Work time is about 7 minutes.

My recommendation is Threebond 1215 also known as Yamabond 4. Has a good work time 30-60 mins, clean up is easy, cheaper than Dirko, doesn’t set up as easily in the tube and smells like mint (alcohol cure). The downside is their tubes suck and get pin holes in and the caps are really crappy and the threads easily pull off.

Back