7900 or 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 7900 and was checking out a 390 xp at my dealers...way more power, or not enough of a jump?...still thinking of that 395xp, but not sure I cut large enough wood to justify its power...I only run bars up to 24"..really feel no need to go larger here in New England for most applications...

I have a 7900 and it is a fine saw runs smooth has lots of power and isnt very heavy. I havent run the 390 but it should have a little more torque than the 7900 if the largest bar you plan to run is the 24 then the 7900 should be just fine but if you plan on running a 32 or larger go with the 390 or 395. Dealer support should also play a part in your decision.

I'd stick with the 7900 unless you get into big stuff often. A 390 with a 24" bar would be a blast and a half, but the 7900 would be the saw to run as an "all arounder".

Mark

What you need is a 660

I run 2 7900's with 20" bars and love them. Actually they replaced my 385xp's I ran with 20's. They blow away the husky 385xp with 20" bars. I don't really care for the 7900's with the 24" bar, when I need 24" I go for the 660. That's what you need. I used to run 394xp's for 24" and up but I tried the 660 a few years back and they straight out outperform. The next step from a 7900 is the 660. You wont be disappointed.

If your set on getting another saw, I think you'll be disappointed in the 390 going from the 7900, not near enough of a difference in those 2 saws. Now going to the 395, yea, you'll see the difference when you dawg in. Never in small stuff, but in bigger stuff with a 24", you'll notice that extra 16cc's. Like going from a 5100 or 345 to a 372 or 440. Even more... You'll be more happy with the weight of the 7900 for sure. Although I did get lucky enough to run a 395 for a few days, it was a VERY nice saw, VERY smooth. PotAto, pototo...

:cheers: eh?

I've been running both there is no difference in the saws power in the wood we have in my area, the Husky is smoother to run but is a lot heavier to work with my 7900s are a much nicer saws to work with then the 390XP. If I had it to do over and know what I know now I would not have bought the 390XP saws at all.

I've been running both there is no difference in the saws power in the wood we have in my area, the Husky is smoother to run but is a lot heavier to work with my 7900s are a much nicer saws to work with then the 390XP. If I had it to do over and know what I know now I would not have bought the 390XP saws at all.

Interesting to hear, thanks. I would like to try a 390 for interests sake, but I sure love working with my 7900s. Funnest and most productive saws I've ever run.

One thing I will say about vibration levels (not directed at your post) is that there are thresholds. I am as concerned (and physically bothered by) excessive vibration levels as about anyone I know, but the reality is that at a certain level with good technique and really sharp chains vibration levels are not as critical. In other words, less vibration is always better, but below a certain level it becomes less of an advantage. (Diminishing returns kind of thing....)

As an illustration, my 066 (and the 460's I run) have more vibration than my body likes and I pay for it with extended cutting. But my 7900s or say my 395 (smoothest saw I own) are smooth enough that I have no problems whatsoever with extended cutting as long as I don't act stupid.

So I do believe that the 390 is smoother yet, (as was the 441 I tried once), which is of course a good thing. But since the vibration levels of my 7900 and 395 are low enough not to be a problem, even lower vibration levels alone are not enough to entice me to buy a saw.

Now lower vibration levels and more and broader power...now we are talking! I have high hopes for the 9900, and hope they kept the vibes down while making a real beast. Let's see, what was the original topic?...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back