A belly full of steel: "chain shot" slide show

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i did some work in the woods back in 95,My boss was skidding some larch out hen the County skidder slip in to the ploughings & was unable to get out.He ask me to fell a med size tree so he could get to roadside which i did.
When i was snedding the tree out i cut a small sappling which was under tension which in turn ripped the saw out of my hands just as i stepped forward.
The force of the saw being ripped out of my hands & the step forward resulted in the saw ripping open my chainsaw trousers in the crotch,my boxer shorts & also my Scrotum.

Before any one asks,i looked down straight away & shouted to the boss "Hospital" which we drove 40 miles to the nearest one.The A&E dept did not believe what i had done until they stood up & looked,I was soon place on a trolley & wheeled into a cubicle where all the Nurses kept comming in to inspect the damage.I ended up having half a dozen or so stiches once they cut the ripped tissue away.They gave me 3 locals to make the area num & each one was placed in 3 different places,that hurt more than the saw.

that really made me cringe Ross.. your not suppost to castrate yourself with a saw! kinda reminds me of the time i tried to start my new 046 mag with the handle between my legs.. for some reason i forgot to hit the decomp valve.. took me about 10min to stand back up and then try to start the saw my usual way.. least it wasnt an 084! might have never stood back up..

chain speed of processor chainsaw

I am curious to find out the speed of the driven sprocket on a processor cutoff chainsaw. how many rpm's spinning the chain? thanks

the saw ripping open my chainsaw trousers in the crotch,my boxer shorts & also my Scrotum.......I was soon place on a trolley & wheeled into a cubicle where all the Nurses kept comming in to inspect the damage..

Sure wouldn't mind some Nurses inspecting my Scrotum!:hmm3grin2orange:

A guy in a crew not far from us was lucky not to be killed thru chainshot. 626 HTH Waratah head on a Hitachi 370, cutting a big log, slabbed, broke chain, fractured skull. Very lucky.

I am curious to find out the speed of the driven sprocket on a processor cutoff chainsaw. how many rpm's spinning the chain? thanks
The motor shaft speed is typically somewhere from 6500 to 9000 rpm depending on the sprocket size. The main issue is to operate at a recommended chain speed.

A guy in a crew not far from us was lucky not to be killed thru chainshot. 626 HTH Waratah head on a Hitachi 370, cutting a big log, slabbed, broke chain, fractured skull. Very lucky.

Did that accident take place in April of 2004? I saw a Forestry Bulletin dated Sept of 05 that discussed a head injury.

A few chain shot injuries and near misses from the 2004 -2005 time frame started a real awarness program to educate operators and manufacturers how to reduce the risk of getting injured by a chain shot.

Latest posts

Back