A tool I could not live without

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought this Snap On impact driver 20 years ago when I was twisting wrenches at the local Chevy dealer. I didn't use it much until I started working on chainsaws. It has kept a bunch of blood in my body. If you work on many old non Torx head screw saws these are a must for breaking Phillips and slot head screws loose. I do have a t-27 and Allen heads for it also, but I seldom have to use them. If you don't have one , you should. It may save you some stitches from a slip off the head, stab you in the hand accident from a regular screw driver.

That's a great tool, it's a MUST for working on motorcycles & ATVs as well as chainsaws. I've got a Mac I bought in '86 when I had my first wrenching job at a motorcycle shop it's still in good shape and gets used daily.

I bought this Snap On impact driver 20 years ago when I was twisting wrenches at the local Chevy dealer. I didn't use it much until I started working on chainsaws. It has kept a bunch of blood in my body. If you work on many old non Torx head screw saws these are a must for breaking Phillips and slot head screws loose. I do have a t-27 and Allen heads for it also, but I seldom have to use them. If you don't have one , you should. It may save you some stitches from a slip off the head, stab you in the hand accident from a regular screw driver.

Nice to see you, Chuck! Now I'm wondering what in the world happened to my driver. I must've had three or four of these things over the years and I couldn't tell you what happened to any of them.

Nice to see you, Chuck! Now I'm wondering what in the world happened to my driver. I must've had three or four of these things over the years and I couldn't tell you what happened to any of them.[/QUOTEI]

I warned you about not locking your tool box up.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The Snap on one is very nice and the best I've ever used. But they are very expensive.
I don't remember what I paid for the Snap On one I lifted out of Giants tool box:hmm3grin2orange: , but like my signature says, the price may be forgotten, but the quality is not. I have used some of the Chinese made drivers and they are about as dangerous as a regular screw driver is. The bits will break a fly to God only knows where.

Last edited:
I don't remember what I paid for the Snap On one I lifted out of Giants tool box:hmm3grin2orange: , but like my signature says, the price may be forgotten, but the quality is not. I have used some of the Chinese made drivers and they are about as dangerous as a regular screw driver is. The bits will break a fly to God only knows where.

:agree2:

Yup. Like I said, best I ever used.

They are an excellent addition to have in the tool box...

I use a 12 volt makita.. all day.... every day I'm working on saws...
I do to if they are torx head , and if not I use the Makita after I bust them lose with my driver. You ever forget to set the clutch when tightening and strip out any threads. It's happen here a few times. I hate that sickening little snap that a metal cased saw makes when it happens.
I have never heard a slot head screw called a cheese head screw until I got my first Stihl service manual. I hate cheese head screws.

Last edited:
i have to say i made the mistake of buying a chinese one, what a wast. i now have an lithium electric impact driver that i absolutly love. one of the top investments i have made into my tool collection.

put it on the screw and give it a quick rap with a hammer. keeps you from stripping out those Phillips heads that corroded in place.

I have the Snap-On too....think I paid a buck tentyfive for it...some of the best money ever spent..:clap:

I use a 12 volt makita.. all day.... every day I'm working on saws...

That sounds like a real time-saver.

i have to say i made the mistake of buying a chinese one, what a wast. i now have an lithium electric impact driver that i absolutly love. one of the top investments i have made into my tool collection.
What brand do you have? THose lithium-ion tools hold a charge really well, but they are sure proud of them......:cry:
How do you use it?

Put it in the screw, turn it the way you wish the screw to go, hold pressure in that direction and downward to keep the bit from camming out, and rap it with a hammer. It transfers downward force into rotational force. Gotta hold it tight so the bit turns the way you want it to go, rather than the tool barrel rotating the opposite direction. :chainsaw:

put it on the screw and give it a quick rap with a hammer. keeps you from stripping out those Phillips heads that corroded in place.

Remember to turn it the direction you wish the screw to go.... otherwise you are just banging on the screw. I won't tell you how long it took me to figure that one out........:monkey:

I have had a Craftsman that I got in 1981 to work on motorbikes. I never even thought of using it on a chainsaw before. Makes sense with steel screws in alloy or magnesium cases, though.

Latest posts

Back