adding domestic hot water heat tube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiting-5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
have a clayton 1800 series add on wood burner when i got it made i should have had the heat tube installed for making hot water but didnt . now i want to little work to get at it but no biggie once this is installed im sure the instuctions will make it clear but before i shell out the greenbacks for it i want to understand how it works! im guessing cold water (city preasure)going in then im guessing it goes to the hot water side of the water heater after going through the wood burner getting heated up? just what keeps it from getting to hot and building to much pressure? anyway if anyone canhelp much appreciated.

That is how it works. If you are on city water and have a backflow check valve the expansion can cause the temperature pressure reilief valve to trip. There is a fairly recent thread here on that. Overheating is a possibility if you are fired up for a long period of time with no hot water consumption. Without a tempering valve there is the possibility of scalding tap temperatures. If your fire is out your heating surface in the stove turns into a water cooler is another factor. There is a fair bit involved and takes a fair bit of watching and feeding to control. I would suggest that whatever your installation involves put good unions or flanged couplings in and make a bypass with matching unions etc. to replace the coil if you have to take it out of service. Under no circumstances put any valves in the heating coil loop that could accidentally get turned off! Ka Boom!

Back