After mount ST. HELENS Eruption 1980

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I dont know much about the 1980 eruption of MT ST. HELENS in 1980. I was 6 at the time it happened. I was wandering how the forest are recovering after 31 years. I know that at one time this area was a prominnate area for logging. I was wandering how long it would take before this area became a profitable logging area again? provided no eruptions occur in the future. Thanks Rob, Maybe the acidic ash will prevent a havestable crop from growing again.

Last edited:
I live nearby. The blast area was broken up into a couple of areas. One is now a national monument, and nature was left to take its course. That area consists of lupine, huckleberries, and all the pioneering shrubs.
The trees are closing in from the sides. The monument was not salvage logged so there are still a few snags standing.

The part that was not declared monument was logged, burned, and replanted. Those trees are almost big enough to commercially thin. But, since times and politics have changed, logging it seems doubtful at this time.

Let me see if I can find my pictures from a bike ride in there.

191570d1311307471-volcanic-odyssey20001-jpg

191571d1311307473-volcanic-odyssey50001-jpg

191572d1311307475-volcanic-odyssey30001-jpg

191573d1311307477-volcanic-odyssey4-shade0001-jpg

The last one is in an area that was replanted. It is at a higher elevation so won't be commercial sized for a few more decades. The other photos are all taken in the monument, about the same elevation so you can see the natural reforestation.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/191571d1311307473-volcanic-odyssey50001-jpg

View attachment 191570View attachment 191571View attachment 191572View attachment 191573

Last edited:
I spent a fair amount of time camping and fishing on the south side of Mt. St. Helens as a kid in the 70's, and it seemed it took about ten years or so after it blew but nature really heals itself wonderfully. slowp is quite correct, The area really has grown in well.

There are sooo many huckleberries in that area. But, wouldn't you know it, picking them in the monument is against the law. I've often thought about a night time visit in September.

I just got off the phone with a cutter who said that a a saw of choice for them was a P45 or a 455!
Running a velocity stack with a K&N filter was a must.

Hope to hear from other cutters and what saws were used for clean up and such cutting on the hill and surrounding areas that were effected.

I was 16 on that fine Sunday morn ...

Working for a grocery store in Corvallis Or. I remember taking a load of groceries out to a customer's car and looking north toward Portland Or. and Washington state. The mushroom cloud was growing rapidly and I was SURE that Portland had been nuked.

I was 150 miles away to the south, but it was still a sight I'll never forget.

Back