Alaska milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlasKarl

In pursuit of happiness
Reaction score
Most of my wood hauling is done on ice and snow roads in the middle of winter. Here is what I milled last spring, I used a Granberg Alaskan Mill on a Stihl 440. It worked quite well, surprisingly well actually considering it was my first attempt at milling.

027_4_1.jpg

008_2_1.jpg

003_2_3.jpg

008_3_1.jpg

015_5_1.jpg

023_4_1.jpg

Happy Laborday y'all!

Someone just has way to much time on there hands.
What part of Alaska? I spent some time up there and my wife is a native, born and raised.

Thank you guys for your kind words :clap: :clap: :clap:

"Rustic" is about the right term for what I put together, I don't have much of a shop other than "two saw horses and a blue tarp".

This is burl country, they are just so numerous it's a joy to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

After more sanding and a couple coats of PU this burl chair should be done.

002_2_2.jpg

006_1_1.jpg

You sure you don't have a work shop out in the back full of TOOL'S! :jester: :)

Nice, Nice and Nice!

Gary

How far from a town or city are you?

The floor looks like a laminate one.

And you must get fuel for the saw and power for the sander from somewhere.

That's some nice stuff! :givebeer:

I was to Alaska many many years ago when I was 11, and I would love to go back. Your pictures remind me of the famous D-ick Proennecke (sp?) whose story can be seen on PBS all the time. I keep meaning to make some benches etc. like that but never find the time. Nice job.

PS the auto censor for the nickname for Richard might be a bit unnecessary as seen here. Just my .02.

Last edited:
I did mean to ask did you build the cabin or buy it already built? If you built it do share the info! Either way its beautiful , just what I would want to walk into after a day out hunting/fishing ect. very nice I've heard Alaska is a awesome place to visit or live if you like the outdoors and nature and the pics say just that! Again envious!

Back