And there I sat waiting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdhunter1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning up my woodland from a storm about 3 years ago. It is quite thrashed, two weeks ago I dropped about a 20" dbh straight as an arrow Sycamore right where I wanted it but it was across my little access road to this area. No big deal as it's been to wet to get my tractor in there anyway, today I decided I'd buck it into two (two 17' logs) and roll it out of the way. The entire log sat across two knolls so it was a pretty easy cut to not hit the dirt. Anyway when I cut through it I turned to walk away and it slowly rolled up behind me, knocked my right leg out from under me and I basically sat down on the log when this happened. Long story short I ended up my right foot on its side with a 15" end of a 17' log on top of my right foot, my left butt cheek and thigh on the log and my right shoulder against a tree. I was literally caught, trapped, pinned you name it.

Grab the phone, call my dad who lives 1/4 mile away and gave him the old 'whatcha up to' 'nothing' 'hey were you gonna come back and help a bit' 'yeah sooner or later' 'well how bout sooner' I did tell him I was pinned but not injured.
The short of it, dad showed up in about 5 minutes, laughed (and keep in mind my dad and I are best friends), said 'I guess right now it'd be prtty easy for me to have the upper hand in a fight again wouldn't it? Remember when you said I'd better be nice because someday you'll pick my nursing home? How about that $20 you owe me? What was that comment last week about my age and the age of dirt?' All this while sitting 5' away on the other log drinking coffee and puffing on a smoke.

I said 'Ok my wallet is in the truck, I will take this into account when the day comes I have to miserably pick a nursing home for you (he's only 65), I love you so much you would always have the upper hand in a fight, and only the dirt under my fingernails and in my ears might be younger than you. By the way did you bring me a cup of coffee?'

The cant hook on the four wheeler a mere 10' away and he rolled it off. I limped for a bit and went back to work, of course now it is swelled a bit and sore, I probably won't be doing my routine 3 mile runs for a few days but I'll survive.

So the moral of this story are two fold. #1 When working alone keep a phone or some form of communication ON YOU, and #2 the person you insult/play a joke on/pick on today might just have to get you out of a pickle tomorrow.

Hope yall enjoyed this one and had a good laugh.

LOL!!!

Glad to hear it didn't turn out as ugly as it could have for you. You could have been pinned for much longer with much worse consequences.

Yep! Keep some sort of comm Handy just in case, 'cuz wierd stuff happens in the woods, and in the shop.

My Cousin has dropped everything to pull my tail feathers out of the vice a couple times, and I have done the same for him. I think we are even for the moment but spring Tractor stuck season is coming.

Your Dad has your number...ROFL!!!
Try not to laugh when he plays that card later, 'cuz ya know he's going to pick a good spot.:laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sorry to burst your bubble Kristen, maybe this week I can get a video or a few photos to put up here. Never posted a video before.

Sorry to burst your bubble Kristen, maybe this week I can get a video or a few photos to put up here. Never posted a video before.

Bird, he's link spamming again. Sorry to say ya got a troll in your thread.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Update: last night about dinner time I felt it getting more sore. I iced it down and had a liquid pain reliever. This morning woke up with what looked like 1/2 a baseball growing on the outside of my right ankle, iced it twice and tried staying off my feet as much as possible. After two ibuprofen and a few hours of off my feet it seems pretty decent now. Still has a nice swolen spot but not as painful.

The worst of this is about 5 years ago the ankle problems that had plagued me for the previous 8 years since high school had seemed to go away. Looks like i might have a start of it again.

And my dad LOVES telling the story!

I did tell him while I was pinned that if he felt like taking a little frustration out from my 18-20 year old days (I'm 31 now) now is definitely a good chance. I think he enjoyed the fact that I was 100% powerless and depended fully on him. He said it was quite the spiritual time for him contemplating the son needing his father.

Ya got off easy and a lesson learned.
My brother did something similar, ended up under a Madrone, spent three hours digging his sorry ass out, with a bowie knife. He was lucky, like you and was only bruised and bent. I was never trapped, but caught a few impacts.

So the first time i dropped a tree on my brother... luckily it was just a 20' christmas tree that he literally tried to catch... this seems to happen every year think I've hit him every year since. Allways goes like, hey I,m gonna put it right there so get the hell out of the way and he don't move. I figure he thinks I can't fall trees, and its gonna go somewhere anywhere but where I said it would go. As I said this happens every year... so far its just been christmas trees... He is not real smart but he can lift heavy stuff.

I am in the process of cleaning up my woodland from a storm about 3 years ago. It is quite thrashed, two weeks ago I dropped about a 20" dbh straight as an arrow Sycamore right where I wanted it but it was across my little access road to this area. No big deal as it's been to wet to get my tractor in there anyway, today I decided I'd buck it into two (two 17' logs) and roll it out of the way. The entire log sat across two knolls so it was a pretty easy cut to not hit the dirt. Anyway when I cut through it I turned to walk away and it slowly rolled up behind me, knocked my right leg out from under me and I basically sat down on the log when this happened. Long story short I ended up my right foot on its side with a 15" end of a 17' log on top of my right foot, my left butt cheek and thigh on the log and my right shoulder against a tree. I was literally caught, trapped, pinned you name it.

Grab the phone, call my dad who lives 1/4 mile away and gave him the old 'whatcha up to' 'nothing' 'hey were you gonna come back and help a bit' 'yeah sooner or later' 'well how bout sooner' I did tell him I was pinned but not injured.
The short of it, dad showed up in about 5 minutes, laughed (and keep in mind my dad and I are best friends), said 'I guess right now it'd be prtty easy for me to have the upper hand in a fight again wouldn't it? Remember when you said I'd better be nice because someday you'll pick my nursing home? How about that $20 you owe me? What was that comment last week about my age and the age of dirt?' All this while sitting 5' away on the other log drinking coffee and puffing on a smoke.

I said 'Ok my wallet is in the truck, I will take this into account when the day comes I have to miserably pick a nursing home for you (he's only 65), I love you so much you would always have the upper hand in a fight, and only the dirt under my fingernails and in my ears might be younger than you. By the way did you bring me a cup of coffee?'

The cant hook on the four wheeler a mere 10' away and he rolled it off. I limped for a bit and went back to work, of course now it is swelled a bit and sore, I probably won't be doing my routine 3 mile runs for a few days but I'll survive.

So the moral of this story are two fold. #1 When working alone keep a phone or some form of communication ON YOU, and #2 the person you insult/play a joke on/pick on today might just have to get you out of a pickle tomorrow.

Hope yall enjoyed this one and had a good laugh.

Yup keep a phone on you or bring helper I learned this a long time ago.

Back