Another day At The Gun Club

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I feel like I've had a a$$ whoopin.

Decided to get this big old snag down. It was a big old cottonwood that the top blew out of 5-6 years ago. Took two days, back then to clean up the top. (little saws)

To give a perspective how big the old girl was here is a pic of my 660 with a 36" bar next to it. I had already cut the roots to the left and right.

attachment.php

Wasn't very tall anymore....maybe 20 ft.

attachment.php

In this picture I have tried to whittle the roots down so I can do something with it.

attachment.php

Oposite side.

attachment.php

That looks like allott of work for wood that burns like paper.

Here she is down on the ground. The top just shattered.

attachment.php

A side view, down.

attachment.php

The base of it with the 660 for comparision.

attachment.php

First two cuts up from the base I JUST had enough reach to get it in two cutting from both sides.

attachment.php

Lessons learned today.

#1....I had skip chain on the 36" bar....didn't need it as the tree was completly rotten. Had to feather the throttle a little to keep it from over-reving in the cut.

#2...Next time cutting a rotten tree wear full goggles....nothing but fine sawdust (lots) and my eyes are full, still.

#3...Wear a paper resperator when cutting rotten trees (see above) or at least keep mouth shut while breathing.

The 660 ran great today but I find about 20 minutes with it gets me winded. Why couldn't I have had a machine like this 20 years ago when I was man enough to run it! ;)

Couple crown royals and it's off to bed for me!

Ought to make a nice fire for a wienie roast. Definitely junk the way it splintered on impact.

Back