Another "Help me spend my money" thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmalterna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
O.K. After the family budget meeting... my wife said I can buy ONE more saw. I may still sell/rebuy within what I have but for straight purchases this is IT until at least next summer- BIG projects about to start and money will be focused to those projects plus paying down some ccards.

In the stable:
New 372Xp with 20" bar and extra bar
Husky 353 with 18" .325
Muffler Modded 5100S with 16" .375
stock 5100S with 18" .375
Stihl MS180 with 14"
+ a Makita refurb 7901 due in next 30 days with 28" bar.

As much as I would LOVE a mint 044, or new MS361 or maybe MS460. A 357XP or... I just don't see where any of these add capability. So I am thinking a dedicated polesaw or maybe the Stihl Kombi with chainsaw head and 3' extension.

I am not a pro, fell and cut up trees for firewood, for friends and a few $$ side jobs. Also trimming my own trees long overgrown and thinning the woods surrounding my house. I also help a buddy out on some of his farms. No climbing for me. Have fun and spend my money!:cheers:

2Door

attachment.php

:D

That 660 looks goooooooood!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I say you have all your firewood needs covered for 20 years. Time for a play saw. Have that 5100 or 372 ported and piped. The minty 044 sounds better though.:D

O.K. After the family budget meeting... my wife said I can buy ONE more saw. I may still sell/rebuy within what I have but for straight purchases this is IT until at least next summer- BIG projects about to start and money will be focused to those projects plus paying down some ccards.

In the stable:
New 372Xp with 20" bar and extra bar
Husky 353 with 18" .325
Muffler Modded 5100S with 16" .375
stock 5100S with 18" .375
Stihl MS180 with 14"
+ a Makita refurb 7901 due in next 30 days with 28" bar.

As much as I would LOVE a mint 044, or new MS361 or maybe MS460. A 357XP or... I just don't see where any of these add capability. So I am thinking a dedicated polesaw or maybe the Stihl Kombi with chainsaw head and 3' extension.

I am not a pro, fell and cut up trees for firewood, for friends and a few $$ side jobs. Also trimming my own trees long overgrown and thinning the woods surrounding my house. I also help a buddy out on some of his farms. No climbing for me. Have fun and spend my money!:cheers:

2Door

Based on what you've presented the pole saw/kombi system makes the best sense. You're going to be able to cut up anything you run into between the saws you have now and the 7901 that's on the way. The pole saw/kombi system will add versatility to your trimming operations and your 180/5100s will handle the "light" work.

Never fear on the debt- this is the bachelor party. After this the head goes down and the CC's get payed off + I start a project to remodel a house by myself starting first of December. House will be a rental or a flip in the spring. Just looking for a last gas before the grindstone.

I can still sell one of mine to do something different to keep things interesting. I could sell the 372 and get a stoked 044!!!!! :) Maybe sell a rifle for the extra juice. I don't mind grinding out long days/weeks- just nice to have fun with my tools when the chance presents itself.

2Door

I drove 175 miles and paid 400.00 after work today for a barely used MS440 Magnum with like new 20 ES bar. Not a steal but I wanted it! Belonged to a fellow that worked building timber homes. He decided he liked his built 38 better. Less than 5 hours use on it! My next day off is Nov 22, so it will not get any use for a bit.

2Door

Latest posts

Back