Another Lightening Whoee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy its little sister a S10 that looks almost as nice on ebay, but I can not afford this one.
And the man selling this is great to deal with.:greenchainsaw:

Hey Gumnuts take a look at this Contra

Gumnuts...

Note that this Contra/Lightning has the same sheet metal inside heat deflector as the one you got for me. Also note the filter housing is like mine. His serial number is just at 350 is 205 preceeding mine.

Nice looking saw but I don't think he did a Snellerizer quality job on it. Do you suppose he is a member here?...Carl

Gumnuts...

Note that this Contra/Lightning has the same sheet metal inside heat deflector as the one you got for me. Also note the filter housing is like mine. His serial number is just at 350 is 205 preceeding mine.

Nice looking saw but I don't think he did a Snellerizer quality job on it. Do you suppose he is a member here?...Carl
It is a early model not off from the one I have.
With a rope roller glide on top, without the log logo like on the later models.
The one I have came out of Maine & has seen heavy logging use in its life.
But still all in one piece considering its age.

If thats the going rate for restoring
a chainsaw then i'm changing my
profession.

Lee
When you think about it , it is no different than restoring a old muscle car.

And the resulting price increase, he even used Du point paint.

We have reached the top. STIHL Chain Saws, pickup trucks & Wild women

It is very nice but if only it was a "S" then it would be something !
For the amount of work the gent has put into the saw I don't think the price is outrageous.

"THIS IS A BIG PEICE OF STIHLS HISTORY..." -- quite literally!! They don't make 'em much bigger! :hmm3grin2orange:

I dunno. Look closer at the pictures. He may have used Dupont, but he also used a brush! :dizzy: Check the unevenness of the white.

We'd call that a 50/50 restoration. Looks good at 50 feet, at 50 miles per hour!:p Certainly not up to the quality for the price he's asking.

Either the top cover was never restored and is original, or he got some bruises after the paint job.

"THIS IS A BIG PEICE OF STIHLS HISTORY..." -- quite literally!! They don't make 'em much bigger! :hmm3grin2orange:

I dunno. Look closer at the pictures. He may have used Dupont, but he also used a brush! :dizzy: Check the unevenness of the white.

We'd call that a 50/50 restoration. Looks good at 50 feet, at 50 miles per hour!:p Certainly not up to the quality for the price he's asking.

Either the top cover was never restored and is original, or he got some bruises after the paint job.
Myself I would have to be tanked up on Jack Daniels to even think about giving that much for it.
Now that has happen before but not at the same time.:greenchainsaw:

It is a early model not off from the one I have.
With a rope roller glide on top, without the log logo like on the later models.
The one I have came out of Maine & has seen heavy logging use in its life.
But still all in one piece considering its age.

Texas...

That's what I think also. I'm guessing the sheet metal shroud was done early then they got a form made for the cast metal shroud. Anybody have any idea when this change was made and any other changes that took place that might help date or help identify the different changes in production?

...Carl

He says in the add that he did not touch the top cover.

I think painting the wrap handle also detracts from his restoration.

Now I would love to have that plastic top. It's the first one I've seen with the "Lightning" in gold relief and the stihl logo has the original rivets and paint...

Come to think of it I think I'll buy it for the plastic cover alone. :greenchainsaw:

Carl

Last edited:
Back