Another serial numb. ques.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
I did a few searches, didn't find any answers, so here's the ques: Is there intelligence in the Stihl serial number? First dig. is country of origin, 1=Germany, o.k. rest of numbers are sequential (all I found). Reason I ask is:

So I picked up my new 460 the other day and I asked the dealer what yr. the saw was manufactured, "...don't know, probably last yr." was his response. I didn't pursue it since it seemed he didn't want to be bothered looking up the serial number or didn't know if the s.n. told him anything. So, is there a way to tell the year manufactured via the s.n. What other info is embedded in s.n.?

Thanks,

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stihl dealers

"...don't know, probably last yr." was his response. I didn't pursue it since it seemed he didn't want to be bothered looking up the serial number or didn't know if the s.n. told him anything.
Thanks,

In general, your experience is what has more than not turned me way off Stihl dealers period. Thall and Lake and a few others on here are about the only decent ones left. Not lazy POS like pretty much all the dealers I go see. I'm just ranting, but really, I have never seen such a lazy bunch of friggin people in all my life. 4 Stihl dealers, 3 husky dealers, and the same thing... Hence another reason why my last 3 saws have been Dolmars. Keep it up, slowly but surely it always bites you in the butt... Come on, we're not talking about getting a dealer to go cut your wood, they won't look up a part or a number or heck, they usually look at you cross-eyed when you ask them about a price, like it's a chore to get their lazy butts away from the coffee pot or the donut box and look up a number for someone who might buy a saw. i'm disgusted at most dealers I've been to in the past few years. Since the old guy that used to be the Stihl dealer here retired, I avoid the rest like the plague unless I have to get something from them. I think this is another reason so many people are willing to buy internet saws instead of remaining loyal. Not me, I still buy from dealer, but I can see why...

:chainsaw: :censored: :angry:

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Cisco,

Like the dealer who didn't know what I was talking about when I asked him if he had the ne346xp. I found one on his display shelf "oh, I thought they just changed the clutch cover color".

Andy,

Thanks, I'm headed to an auction this weekend and I just wanted to know if I could tell anything from the s.n. (plus when my new 460 was manufactured). The saw I'm interested in has no markings but everyone thinks it's an 064. Guess I'll bring it home (unless everyone there goes ape on bidding (as they usually do)) and post pictures here on AS to find out what it is.

Later,