Another which chain? thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know, been posted 4589.7 times before:angry2: but cant seem to find the exact info I need. The county leaf/wood recycling center is near me and we like to cut there when ever there is decent hardwood to be had (free) The trucks we cut are not covered with mud (we leave those for the yups,LOL) but by the time its dumped, moved around etc there is always enough dirt present that my chisel chains are slowing noticeably after half a tank and are done before a tank of fuel runs out. (we do not run chains until dust and smoke are present, LOL) We have been changing chains at fueling because there is more than a stroke or two of damage to get rid of. Now my question is; Given that a chisel chain is lasting basically a half a tank of fuel in these conditions how long could I expect a RM or chipper chain to cut? full tank? more? Could go buy one but cheaper to ask first.

Well if you are getting damaged teeth chipper chain is not going to help much, the chipper teeth are going to get damaged too. Chipper chain helps when there is sand or dirt, and it help hold the edge a little longer (not all that mich longer in my dirty wood experience).

I tried chipper this winter cutting frozen and dirty free standing deadwood and was not impressed. I went back to Oregon LG, which lasted about as long and cut faster.

I would try Stihl RM/RMC, and see how much it helps, before considering anything else.

Btw, chipper chain is more or less history except for Harwesters.
RM etc is semi-chisel, not chipper.

If you are not using Stihl chain by now, just changing to Stihl probably will help by itself........

Last edited:
Damage is simply dulling not broken like hitting rock but about 4-5 file strokes worth of dulling. We are using Stihl RS and RSK now and by chipper I meant semi chisel, sorry.

I cut about a fair amount of dirty wood from construction sites and have always used Oregon LG chain on a 20" bar. I can get two tanks of fuel per sharpening out of a 272xp.

During my vocational forestry class in high school our instructor used ripping chains. When asked why, he said they lasted longer in dirty wood and ground contact. We sharpened then at 30 degrees; just as any other chain. Overall the saws performed relatively well with the set up.
Has anyone else heard of using ripping chain?

Latest posts

Back