Any Suggestions to Wake up a 288xp Lite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner97

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bone stock work saw, 7 pin sprocket stihl rsc yellow chain. Cuts good now, but lookin for more power just to beat up my buddies' ms660 magnum and show him that huskys are the best lol. Really the extra power would be nice for cutting the hardwoods for firewood around here plus the shock and awe factor. Anybody make a big bore kit for them? Or will a piston and cylinder from a bigger husky fit it? Taking a head gasket out and using a thinner one or something like an old hot rodder trick? just curious as to what i could do with just bolt on and fairly simple stuff, don't want to get too in depth i don't have the experience to do so, as to changing transfers and such. Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks

Learn to square file. :chainsaw:That is worth 25% shock and awe to someone who doesnt run a similar chain. No potential down side damage to your saw either!

Is there a dramatic difference in cutting ability and efficiency between round ground chisel and square ground? I have always used round ground because that is what i happen to get the easiest and cheapest, plus i have heard it is very difficult to file square ground chisel chain. If it cuts even better than round ground hell ill give it a shot. LOL:chainsawguy:

Thanks for the idea, i was unsure if it would pull full comp chisel good with an 8 pin I have a 20in bar on it now soon to be a 24in. I will try that and maybe a muffler mod.

Your 288 will run like a scalded dog with an 8 pin and a 20" or even 24" bar. Try that before the square ground. And then if it isnt fast enough, try square. I have not tried square yet. Im not really looking forward to learning how to file it, plus all I cut is dirty old firewood. Not good for square.

Is there a dramatic difference in cutting ability and efficiency between round ground chisel and square ground? I have always used round ground because that is what i happen to get the easiest and cheapest, plus i have heard it is very difficult to file square ground chisel chain. If it cuts even better than round ground hell ill give it a shot. LOL:chainsawguy:

What part of 25% dont you understand? lol! Afraid to learn to file it? Why be afraid to learn a new skill? All you need is a few files and you wont lower the value of your saw by bastardizing it.:cheers:

Does anyone know if you could bolt a top end kit for a 395 onto the 288xp? Ive looked at bores and strokes the stroke is the same for both of them the bore is just larger would it work?:dizzy:

You know that is a good question. In fact does anyone know? 395xp top end on 288 cases?

Haha no i am not afraid to learn a new skill just trying to figure out what will make my 288 most definately destroy my buddy's brand new ms660 magnum lol. You got to know my friend but hes the type if it aint brand new and big as hell it ain't no good, likes to talk the #### especially on the ole husky's. It's time somebody got taught a lesson by an 11yr old working saw that has been beat up a little and for sure would not win a beauty contest lol. Does anyone know if the 395xp top end or any other larger top end for any husky saw fit the 288xp lite? Noone makes a big bore kit that im aware of thats why i wonder... haha:chainsawguy:

The 288 Husqvarna is the biggest saw in this family of saws.It began with the 181-281 and the 288 being the largest at 54mm bore. There is not a big bore cylinder made for this saw and the 395 cylinder is not a bolt on for the 288. Mike acres site says the 288 will pull a 36" bar stock. A muffler mod and some porting you can make the 288 smoke your buddies 660. Good luck hot rodding it. Rick!

Damn haha there is no replacement for displacement they say lol. Sounds good i plan on getting a muffler from baileys its on back order, but it has a pipe angled out the right side where the stock exhaust is and i planned on brazing a pipe same size on the left side i hope it sounds badass and runs like i hope it will. Thanks for the help, i thot that the 298xp was in the same family as were the 2100 and 2101??? could i do that? bolt one of them jugs up if i can find one? Anybody know? Im sure i will catch hell for wanting to do that being it is hard to find those saws.

Just a nice all around mild build i guess nothing to aggressive or too weak, and as best quality for cheap as is possible lol. Thats what i get for going through college is shallow pockets haha. But if you could maybe guide me to sum people that i may need to get in touch with i would appreciate it. just pm me if you want.

Figured i'd update on this thread, i got ambitious after reading on this site for a while now and did a very light port job on my 288xp, you guys are great and a big thanks to all of you that had input on this thread and others on this site without everyone elses builds to look at and advice i would have never thought about porting my saw myself but it didn't seem like such a big deal after reading up about it. The muffler is next and ill tell you what this saw flat out rips!!! Plenty of material i can still take out of the ports without changing the timing, etc, etc. Try to post a video of my saw in the wood if i get a chance. Once again thanks to everyone.:clap:

Ridgerunner97 i am now where you found yourself a few years ago. I got a brand new to me 288xp thats dead as Elvis... I'm bring in it back, and if like to bring it all the way live.
any advice to a newb?!

Back