Anybody know what this tool is for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter nap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It's some kind of saw. It is 36 inches long and the blade is chisel ground.

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

Nope, all wrong. That is a hay saw, use to use it when hay was put up loose in a mow. Use it many times when I was a young boy. It would slice right through the hay and you could easily remove it from the mow. Lester

Nope, all wrong. That is a hay saw, use to use it when hay was put up loose in a mow. Use it many times when I was a young boy. It would slice right through the hay and you could easily remove it from the mow. Lester

Sounds right we used it on silage bales before the balers were fitted with choppers and the tool was old before we used it for that

pretty sure that's a hay saw

google the two terms and you'll see that an ice saw's teeth are not offset on a curve like that, not as aggressive a cut through ice!

-redoak

Thanks Guys!

I think it's a hay knife.
Looking at the pictures, it could be either...but I think the Ice Saw picture is mislabled. The edge is sharpened like a knife and since this is Virginia *even though it used to get cold before the hot air from DC started blowing this way) I don't think it ever got cold enough for the average farmer to have a dedicated Ice Saw.

hay-saw of hay-knife all the way.

Apperantly a world wide spread "technology"

Have one laying around here also.

(cheers)

Latest posts

Back