anybody using chipper boxes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago when I had gone to check out Hartney Greymont and Leuder's Tree service I noticed that they both stored their equipment on the chippers. The concept is pictured in one of the recent TCI's in an article about keeping employee's busy for the winter. Are any of you guys using this concept for equipment storage? If so I would appreciate some feedback.

I did no tsee the the pic. but if your talking about storing sm, equip. on the chipper. Yes it is good & bad. People can pull up next to you & grab much quicker. Saws can go into a locked feed shoot.Up side easy accesable to the working ground crew. I was sued once cause a so called man jumped out of the dump getting a rake or something & hurt his knee. & a upside is that rakes ,saws & such dont end up at the dump as offten.from being in the back of the chipper truck.

Sonny, there should be a picture of a red Bandit chipper at the top of the first page of that article. The chipper has 2 long white boxes on it's side. Mark was telling Mike that some of his people had been pulling rotator cuffs from lifting the boxes (requires 2 people). The system carries 2 boxes which are interchangeable, a back pack blower, sign, couple of hand tools, ropes, bucket, and a couple of other things. Makes for a lot of extra weight (you need to upgrade your suspension on the machine and have heavy duty tires). Any thoughts?

Dave Dubiski, our resident welder for Crawford Tree, had the bright idea of welding tubes to the tongue of the chipper, perpendicularly. You could slide a rake or shovel in and have no trouble with them falling out or snapping off at highway speed.

The idea has caught on because Morbark now offers that after Dave showed it to our dealer. Go Dave.

Nickrosis

Several years ago when I was a foreman at Davey, all the chippers had a 4" PVC tube bolted on somewhere for holding rakes and pitchfork. On the Brush Bandits, they were bolted to one of the upright posts in front of the radiator.
My first job with a real climber, about 13 years ago, he had an old Morbark and had a PVC pipe bolted on it to hold rakes. I think guys have been doing that as long as chippers have been around.

I was not so much referring to hand tools (rakes / shovels) as much as boxes for chain saws / ropes / saddles / etc.

Back