Anyone ever put a QUIETER muffler on their saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know a quiet muffler generally takes up more space + weighs more, and folks are usually willing to sacrifice quiet for more power, but has anyone put a quieter muffler on their saw? Is there even such an animal? I could see a larger muffler from something else being adapted for milling operations, where weight may not be top priority anymore. I'd put a quieter muffler on my saw that flowed the same, before I'd put on a louder muffler that makes 5% more power.

I (jokingly) thought about doing a custom straight/curved pipe that exhausted way way up above my head on a saw that lives its life on a mill; but I don't see why it wouldn't work... and possibly not much if any performance loss.... static pressure for a few feet of open ended pipe shouldn't surpass a typical muffler. Would be awkward if/when you have to take the saw off the mill; but otherwise should be good performance and much better for noise with no smoke in your face during milling... right?

I know a quiet muffler generally takes up more space + weighs more, and folks are usually willing to sacrifice quiet for more power, but has anyone put a quieter muffler on their saw? Is there even such an animal? I could see a larger muffler from something else being adapted for milling operations, where weight may not be top priority anymore. I'd put a quieter muffler on my saw that flowed the same, before I'd put on a louder muffler that makes 5% more power.
Stihl actually did this on some models that were intended to be used around schools, hospitals, and such. I believe that they had the "L" designation after the model number like the 023L. I believe that they had quieter mufflers and intake tract and made about half the horsepower of the regular 023!

Attachments

• TI_17_1995_30.pdf
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Stihl actually did this on some models that were intended to be used around schools, hospitals, and such. I believe that they had the "L" designation after the model number like the 023L. I believe that they had quieter mufflers and intake tract and made about half the horsepower of the regular 023!

I expect battery electric saws have killed off that particular niche of gas saw by now.

Back