Anyone know of a company or place that is equivalent to a wood chipper junkyard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaCat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old Gravely Ariens Pro chip 495 chipper. Has 1 little broken hydraulic switch housing piece missing and I can’t order the part anywhere. Ariens/Gravely has completely abandoned their chippers.

The machine shops where I live on Oahu don’t really think welding will work and to make the part they are quoting some big numbers. Over 1000.image.jpg

Anyone know a place that I could find a donor machine?

Or a place to order the part?

Also I can’t afford to wait a month waiting for part.

thats just a cap off a spool valve it looks like, id bet you can walk into any hydraulic shop and they have a near identical valve you can buy and swap that cap out in a matter of minutes
that is a somewhat complex part to machine, most shops nowadays have gone to CNC and production work so good luck getting a one off part made

If, as it appears, the part is simply a bracket that does not have to hold hydraulic pressure, it may not be difficult to fabricate/machine a part that serves the same function without duplicating the original. The part was designed to be die cast and would indeed be time consuming to replicate by machining from solid. Of course, finding someone with the equipment and know-how is the trick. If you were local I'd be willing to take it on as a challenge, but I'm about as far as you can get from HI without leaving the US.

thats just a cap off a spool valve it looks like, id bet you can walk into any hydraulic shop and they have a near identical valve you can buy and swap that cap out in a matter of minutes
that is a somewhat complex part to machine, most shops nowadays have gone to CNC and production work so good luck getting a one off part made

Normally, you would think so.

Gravely is infamous for building their equipment with proprietary parts, so that you must return to the dealer to keep anything running. Good for the dealer. Not so good for their long term survival.

If, as it appears, the part is simply a bracket that does not have to hold hydraulic pressure, it may not be difficult to fabricate/machine a part that serves the same function without duplicating the original. The part was designed to be die cast and would indeed be time consuming to replicate by machining from solid. Of course, finding someone with the equipment and know-how is the trick. If you were local I'd be willing to take it on as a challenge, but I'm about as far as you can get from HI without leaving the US.
You are 100% correct! It just holds the lever. I tried brazing the item and it damaged it even further. Finding the right person is a challenge tho. I ordered the part but they are known for claiming parts are in stock when they are not… and taking forever. Really wish I could find someone who has a broken down gravely chipper. This part is on almost every model

Normally, you would think so.

Gravely is infamous for building their equipment with proprietary parts, so that you must return to the dealer to keep anything running. Good for the dealer. Not so good for their long term survival.
Gravely is the worst for parts support! I really do love my chipper but it’s a nightmare getting anything. Luckily there is aftermarket knives… but it cost me 1k for a pair of knives….

You are 100% correct! It just holds the lever. I tried brazing the item and it damaged it even further. Finding the right person is a challenge tho. I ordered the part but they are known for claiming parts are in stock when they are not… and taking forever. Really wish I could find someone who has a broken down gravely chipper. This part is on almost every model

It is most likely a part that is prone to break.

What you will find is another broken one.

Photos and more information please.

What is it's function?

I guess you do repairs and machine parts? If i go that very expensive route i will probably do it locally to save time on not shipping

I guess you do repairs and machine parts? If i go that very expensive route i will probably do it locally to save time on not shipping

I'm a retired arborist that spent 30+ years in the biz.

I've had hundreds, maybe thousands of machine breakdowns.

My latest was the lift pump on a Cummins 4bta 116hp in a Bandit Chipper.

That one I fixed. Lots of times I have to take things to professionals.

I'm a retired arborist that spent 30+ years in the biz.

I've had hundreds, maybe thousands of machine breakdowns.

My latest was the lift pump on a Cummins 4bta 116hp in a Bandit Chipper.

That one I fixed. Lots of times I have to take things to professionals.
I wish I had a bandit with a cummins

So you going to let people know where or you keeping it as a private source of parts?
I found one off ebay. Didn’t want to say where until I had bought the item as it was the only one available. It was for a different model but Gravely used a lot of same parts in different models. I just got super lucky cuz it was an exact match for hydraulic valve.

It was through a company in Maimi Florida. Ace Lawnmower Service Inc.

Glad to hear! Sounds like it was a headache. I didn't know gravely had made chippers. My father has a couple 40 plus yr old gravely tractors still mowing the lawn every week.
Ya it was a a big pain in the butt. The chipper is good tho. Perkins turbo diesel. Have never had the chute clog

Obviously you don't know that die cast alloy cannot be brazed. Brazing is ONLY for ferrous metals. It can be TIG welded if you still have the broken pieces. Find a competent weld shop with a welder that can TIG and get it fixed.

Back