Anyone skid with a MF1428 or 1528?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darren_nh

darren_nh

ArboristSite Operative
Looking at a compact tractor to skid logs and use around the property. Massey has some good financing deals throught the end of the year and the dealer is close to home. Any experience good/bad would be appreciated.

ericjeeper

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would make sure I got Ag tires

Not them darned backhoe tires,,
Lots more gription on an ag tire,. R 1 is the ag tire R 4 is the street tires.
I would go ahead and have the rear tires filled with either calcium chloride or that new syrup stuff..

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Darren,

It's got plenty of power at 28hp, but for heavier logs it might not have enough weight even with Wheel weights, Filled tires, and ballast in the FEL.

That's easily cured by chopping the log shorter though.

Masseys aren't too common around here, but the 1428/1528 is in the same class as the other(JD 20's etc) CUT's, and the guys running them as Light GP Tractors don't have issues with skidding a log now and then.

Good advice on the tires by eric... Those turf tires are worthless on anything but Pavement, go with the AG tires and have them filled with "Rimsaver" for ballast. Skip the Chloride, the stuff is nasty and eats rims.

Keep shopping around and make the dealer sweat!
McCormic is also running some really killer deals right now.;)

Good luck to ya!
Dingeryote

abohac

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Don't do it

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy that tractor. First of all it is too small. For what you are going to pay for that you can go to a local ag dealer (or watch youe paper) and get a used JD or IH, Ford Massey etc with a loader (which you can't believe how handy the thing will come in). Plus the newness is worn off. The first time a limb flys up and busts something off your brand new little tractor you are going to be pissed. Then, your going to knock off a flasher and on and on. It's inevitiable. Or worse yet, you won't want to even take your brand new tractor in the woods.

bigoak00

bigoak00

ArboristSite Lurker
Not sure if you have any Kioti dealers in your area but they are tough tractors that have a wide array of horsepower options and models. Local fellow does a lot of wood work with the 20 hp Kioti with the loader but I think ideally you should go with a 40-45 hp tractor. They have hydrostatic transmissions if you want or shuttle shift.
They are made in South Korea by the Daedong Corp and have been around for a long time.

Latest posts