Anyone sourcing bike or cart engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
seeing as many a good old saw has been converted to either a drone, an rc controlled plane, a mini bike or a go kart... what would prevent us from taking one of "theres" and mounting it for our use. i'm hoping this is so common among racers so i can transfer this knowledge over to my milling ideas.

re

I want a mac 101 cart engine-where should I look for 1 of those?

ty

great !! look at all the toys !! I see you race macs- Iv got an sp125 I want to fix up a little -do you have any pics of mac race saws??

McCulloch Karts

Just remember that some parts are difficult to find if not impossible. Needle bearings are often extremely hard to find. Ask McBob about that.

I have some kart engined saw videos on youtube. My username on youtube is macandmall. Kart engines found there way into saw frames back in the '60's. They were the hotsaws until the bike engines showed up in the 70's.
Scott

mac 1-51

thanks for surfacing on this post guys. i've got a mac 1-51 that i've got spark on.. will be taking the next step of playing with the carb shortly.

so.. any preferred engines? anything newer or just tried and true?

i don't care if i can't hold the thing up myself.. if i have to mount it up then i have to mount it up

i just really want to cut stuff.. lots of stuff.. and fast

tough stuff too.

The MC91, 92, & 93 will fit in that saw fairly easily if you move the oil tank to clear the big reed intake. These engines are a couple $100 cheaper than the 101's and the difference in performance is not much. In 12- 14" wood, a 91 can compete with a 101.
Scott

Hey McC,

How about a 101 in a 250/300 frame. I have both and thought about doing it. Just haven't got far enough to get to that one yet. I have to get the 101 motor shipped to me, its 900 miles away at the moment. If its possible I would give it a shot.

I have not made that swap myself, but I have seen 250's with 101's in them. I do know that the blocks of the 90 series are nearly identical to the 250 block, except the porting. Here are some pics of my MC92 I built in '04.
Scott

i'm liking the idea of mounting different engines on these mac frames. any experience with david bradley 360s.. there should be plenty of room with that frame.

also with the bike engine and harvester bar type rigs... anything special being used for a clutch/sprocket for these things... i imagine theres loads of preferences.. i'm just looking to get started so i'll accept any pointers.

am i crazy or what

i am taking a 250 cc polaris trailblazer two stroke oil injected motor with tranny and im going to make a chainsaw that cuts forward and backward.any body want to reply bill howe:newbie:

Will you sharpen the back side of each cutter? The transmission will add a lot of weight, and the chain speed will be reduced. A 250cc engine, gear reduced, you could probably pull what, a 20' bar? If it makes you happy, build it. Nobody else will have one like it.
Scott

i am taking a 250 cc polaris trailblazer two stroke oil injected motor with tranny and im going to make a chainsaw that cuts forward and backward.any body want to reply bill howe:newbie:

If you run across a 250cc Scrambler engine let me know.

Bill

250 cc scrambler engine

If you run across a 250cc Scrambler engine let me know.

Bill

do you mean polaris triumph or ducati? what condition would you like it in? reply as soon as possible and i will get looking for one. bill howe

i have racing bike saws

i have a 250 kaw plus i got a another motor 250 suzuki with a molded cylinder for drag racing it is a price artic cat cylinder that fit the crank cases that makes from 250 al the way to a 450 if you wanted:blob2: pm me if interested

Back