Anyone use/work with a backhoe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Reaction score
I started a side job today with my backhoe taking down pines. I have had the hoe for 1 year now. I have always wanted a big peice of equipment to use around the house. It is a Kobelco tlk760 4wd, same as a terex 760. I used it a few months back to drop some big oaks and getting a feel for what to do. Those trees were at my church and I didn't charge them.

What/how do you guys charge? I have started with $35 a tree but do I need to go hourly? I took down and moved 7 trees in 5 hours. I don't have a dump truck or trailer yet nor insurance. I'm doing only jobs close to home until I can decide if I want to do this as a real job, and buy a truck/trailer.

thanks for input:cheers:

I started a side job today with my backhoe taking down pines. I have had the hoe for 1 year now. I have always wanted a big peice of equipment to use around the house. It is a Kobelco tlk760 4wd, same as a terex 760. I used it a few months back to drop some big oaks and getting a feel for what to do. Those trees were at my church and I didn't charge them.

What/how do you guys charge? I have started with $35 a tree but do I need to go hourly? I took down and moved 7 trees in 5 hours. I don't have a dump truck or trailer yet nor insurance. I'm doing only jobs close to home until I can decide if I want to do this as a real job, and buy a truck/trailer.

35 a tree, man, your prices are from 1920 lol. for any backhoe srvice , no matter what your doing, trees or construction you should get atleast 150 a hour

agree with neighborstree. $35 an hour is giving it away - no matter where you are.

If you want to know what the market is in your area, call around and get some quotes....

I have a 580K, that ive been using for 9 years now. Other than insurance, I have no payments. I charge $70 per hour for everything but land clearing. I get a flat fee of $5500 per acre of cleared land, and price 1/2 and 1/4 acres accordingly. You realy need transportation for your machine. I use an 89' F superduty, with a 9 ton tag.

I have a 580K, that ive been using for 9 years now. Other than insurance, I have no payments. I charge $70 per hour for everything but land clearing. I get a flat fee of $5500 per acre of cleared land, and price 1/2 and 1/4 acres accordingly. You realy need transportation for your machine. I use an 89' F superduty, with a 9 ton tag.

Nice setup!

I called around my area today and the average is between $50-75. The tractor's payments are not a big concern but a truck and trailer would be. I would like to get out of my current job and do hoeing for money:biggrinbounce2: I also get to use chainsaws too.

can you say a little over weight ? pulling that trailer empty your probly over weight lol

Up the road from me is a feller.. has his own business and is the only operator. He currently to my knowledge has a johndeer backhow, dozer and also a excavator. Uses a triple axle trailor and a ford 1 ton duelly to haul the backhoe. And then has a tractor.trailor that he uses for the dozer and escavator. He has been doing this for longer then i can remember. Charges $130/hr starting the drivetime from home. The thing is, he has alot of experience with equipment. Him and only maybe 1 other person i would allow if i was working with them laying tile or just digging trenches i would allow to be around. basicly what iam trying to say is he is a smooth operator. You could have your back to him and all of a sudden you will see a bucket coming to the side of you within 1ft and just gently scrape away the dirt. That and understands correct hand signals if digging in a blind spot. Now on the other hand, someone that is jerking that bucket back and forth and cant keep the clay dirt/ top soil and grass seperated, did i mention jerky bucket?? i wouldnt allow to even dig at my homeplace for laying in water or diggin for sewer lines. Thier would be accident waiting to happen and only escalate costs of repair. Look at what other companys are charging. but also look at how much experience you have running the piece of equipment, and base it off of that. not to mention fuel costs and insurance. Just last week we rented a mini escavator and dug close to 300ft of trench for water, power, and internet lines at my place, not to mention laying in new lines from the well to new hydrants. Took about 15hrs to do this. 1. becouse i also work full time, and also took the time to backfill, bucketing in dirt over the lines gently to have cover over them before just pilling the trench full. Ohh and last suggestion. Watch for CAVE-INS!!! Only takes a small amount of dirt to cover you up or trap you or someone else, and doesnt take that big of a clod from above to knock you out or kill you

You could have your back to him and all of a sudden you will see a bucket coming to the side of you within 1ft and just gently scrape away the dirt.

Please be careful about that. I have a friend (won the Case try outs for our area and is going to Vegas for the national competition) who is good with a backhoe. Neither he nor I would work on each other's blind side.

I once saw a block wall after a small backhoe attachment had blown a line and it wasn't pretty. The operator tried to stop the bucket from swinging, but he had no control at all. I know good maintenance programs help limit equipment failure, but that stuff can still happen.

On another note it is pretty neat to watch a guy who is silky smooth on a machine. No wasted movement and worth every penny.

In our area, $65.00 to $85.00 per hour is the norm. There would also be a set-up fee charged in addition to the hourly rate.

Used to run an idiot stick in the summers (while in college) as a general laborer for an underground construction company. The foreman was an outstanding operator...mostly ran 2" and 4" natural gas mains along roads. Spent many an hour hand spotting cables etc... I'd stay in the hole and guide him around cables/lines (saved time rather than hand digging). I'd spot dig the cable then guide him over the top and underneath. Just like anything you spend 8-12 hours a day running a hoe or excavator and you become rather adept.
I was too dang trustworthy...not in his abilities but as someone else pointed out the equipment could fail...one hydraulic hose away from severly crippled or dead.
I think i'd want a little bigger truck pulling a hoe...it will pull it fine but aren't the GVWR ratings based on stopping ability? Just remember how bad the hoe would jerk around a 5 ton dump. Hope it's a standard tranny so atleast you can use the trans to help slow the beast down.

I think i'd want a little bigger truck pulling a hoe...it will pull it fine but aren't the GVWR ratings based on stopping ability? Just remember how bad the hoe would jerk around a 5 ton dump. Hope it's a standard tranny so atleast you can use the trans to help slow the beast down.

I'd love to have a bigger truck, but thats probably a year away. It is a standard tranny, which helps a lot. Good brakes help too. Also.I make my moves during off peak hours, when traffic is lite.

You need to look at a contractor's license and insurance. I used to charge 4 hours min and move in.

Latest posts

Back