Anyone using Shark Bite fittings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm rider

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have 1" pex coming from my coal boiler and right where the pex connects to the 3/4" copper in my house I have a fititng called a Quest fitting. This thing pretty much just connects the plastic pex to a male copper fitting. I have had nothing but trouble with this fitting leaking. it is leaking again and I want to go a different route.
I seen the new Shark Bite fittings and I was wondering if anyone has used them and how well they work.

Yes i have used them at work before when we could not solder and they work very good never had a leak with one, they are great for what they are made for making a connection or 2 because they are a bit $$ but it should work good for what you need them for.

quest fittings are pretty much outdated now and have had problems with 1" compression fittings also. if pex you can use pex ring (if you have tool available). have used a few shakebite on cold water lines with no problems, haven't tryed on hot though

I have used Sharkbite fittings on my owb installation extensively (hot & cold water lines) without any problems. They are a bit pricey but, I don't mind as they are easily disconnected/connected. This is the second year for my owb, so I am anxious too see what the longevity of them will be.

If used both the SB and the knock-offs without any issues. I'm sure they will work great for many years, but I am concerned how they will be holding up 10 to 20 years from now.

they worked out well for me. homedepo had the best selection.

shark bite fittings

i was told that they not rated for the temps of an owb but i have them installed in the hot water loop for almost a year and had the water at almost 200degrees(oops). I think they are very good . yes they are $ but well worth the money

Worked for me

I just found out about them on Saturday. Washer connection was leaking and I thought I was going to need a pex crimper - $$$ - but went to Home Depot and a guy in plumbing who actually knew a lot about plumbing showed me the Sharkbite. Worked like a charm.

Sharkbites

Ditto. I don't solder well and did my entire owb with PEX and sharkbites. I had more trouble keeping the brass fittings than those. I also didn't want to buy a crimping tool. I've also used compression fittings in the past on copper, but are more money than sharkbites.

All fittings on my OWB, etc. are Sharky's, and I can solder/braze with the best, but didn't want to spend $$$ for crimp tools. They work good on copper too, but deburr and file the outside first...no leaks so far.

Glad to read about the experiences of Shark Bite.

I have never used them but also wondered how long the fittings would last in extreme situations.

I do have a couple on the truck, for just in case.

Good thread.

Back