Asplundh 16in Chipper setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke 1016

Reaction score
I have a asphundh 16in chipper i was chipping the other day and on of the blades moved out and started to hit on the ends of the drum. so i moved the blade back to where it was and not the chips are long and strings can any one tell me how to set it back up my ser number is A836R4-16

whoah stop using that right now, The blade was most likely hitting cutter bar you are going to have to put new blades in and flip cutterbar. Do not use it with loose blades as could be explosive.

I see I did tight up the bolts when i moved the knife back into place. Any one know what the clearances are for the knifes and shear bar?

Around .032 but if the blades hit cutter you had better take
it apart and check blades for cracks and resharpen professionaly
flip cutter bar and start over.

luke I would suspect damage to cutter bar edge and knife
If You change out blades and cutter you will have a very good chipper
if you do that right!

Take out bolts that hold blades in and the short one is where you
screw a long bolt in to push wedge out! With wedges out blades set on top of adjusting screws with blades loose slide it over to the side of the drum case there is a raised edge there adjust blades flush with that edge on both sides sliding from side to side! After blades height is set to that edge then take out the two large bolts under drum that hold cutter bar anvil to unit, get completely under the chipper and you will find two more
large bolts with jam nuts these adjust the bar you have to looosen them enough to work anvil out. With anvil out you will see it has a cutter bar attached to it usually held on by Allen head recessed screws take them
out and the bar has 4 sides find one that has not been used if they have
all been used machine or replace it then reverse steps and adjust bar to blades and turn drum by hand to make sure clearance is correct after everything is tight.

Last edited:
Back