...at the car wash yayuh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to remove the recoil, bar cover, muffler, plastic covers and air filter, clean the exhaust port and carb mating surfaces, cover them with Gorilla® duct tape, then clean the saw at the car wash, with the wand 2-3 feet away from the saw? Seems to me like it would work. I imagine the soap is designed to not harm paint..............

..laziness is the true force driving innovation.......:greenchainsaw:

Saws & water

I used the garden hose for several years to wash down the saws after a lot of use. Pretty quick way to clean the obvious surfaces. I would still do it except that eventually I got enough water in the gas tank that it would ice the filter and not allow the start to start in freezing weather. Leave it in the truck for a while with the heater going full blast and then cut all day once it thawed out.

I do use the pressure washer on almost everything else a few time during the year, lawn mower, garden tiller, etc. and never had a problem yet. I do try to run them for a few minuted after washing to dry them out a bit before storing. I think there are too many nooks and crannies in my saws to make pressure washing accomplish much good.

Mark

Is there any reason not to remove the recoil, bar cover, muffler, plastic covers and air filter, clean the exhaust port and carb mating surfaces, cover them with Gorilla® duct tape, then clean the saw at the car wash, with the wand 2-3 feet away from the saw? Seems to me like it would work. I imagine the soap is designed to not harm paint..............

..laziness is the true force driving innovation.......:greenchainsaw:
Well I take the clutch cover off my saw's and hit them with the garden hose all the time. They come out very clean I do use dish soap on them too. If a saw can run in the rain, why not is the way I look at it. I do put them back together and fire them up and let them get up to temp and then set them in the sun. Running them a bit after a good wash puts oil on everything again so no rust and no harm done to the sprocket or clutch bearing.And I have taped up my carb and given the older saws a wash with the top cover removed.Cleans out the air box better than my usual compressed air blast I give them after every use.Hell Usually I just make sure the choke is closed! I don't go crazy on them but it cleans them up real good!

I used the garden hose for several years to wash down the saws after a lot of use. Pretty quick way to clean the obvious surfaces. I would still do it except that eventually I got enough water in the gas tank that it would ice the filter and not allow the start to start in freezing weather. Leave it in the truck for a while with the heater going full blast and then cut all day once it thawed out.

I do use the pressure washer on almost everything else a few time during the year, lawn mower, garden tiller, etc. and never had a problem yet. I do try to run them for a few minuted after washing to dry them out a bit before storing. I think there are too many nooks and crannies in my saws to make pressure washing accomplish much good.

Mark
Dam you posted before I could:) I should add I only do the washing thing in warm weather other wise my garden hose would burst!!!

I should have added that this is to clean the saw prior to taking it apart to rebuild it. So many nooks and crannies, oily sawdust, slime, etc. I could certainly remove the ignition module, and the gas line is getting replaced due to disintegration. The tank vent tube is now Tygon.

I do it on every saw I rebuild, john. I do remove the coil and plug wire first. It works really well. I have never had a problem. I used regular duct tape with paper towels behind it to block off the exhaust port.

Ive seen dudes bring nasty oily Bobcats and other types of machinery to them and blow all those nasties down their drain instead of their own. I dont see why it would hurt the saw as long as you dont give it a full on direct hit.

If mine are real dirty,
I take the air filter off, plug the carby
with a rag of some sort. Sometimes
remove recoil. Alway take bar and chain
off and stick the saw in my Safety Kleen
parts washer and go to town. Cleans real
nice and let dry for a few hours.

But thats just me

Lee

Is there any reason not to remove the recoil, bar cover, muffler, plastic covers and air filter, clean the exhaust port and crab mating surfaces, cover them with Gorilla® duct tape, then clean the saw at the car wash, with the wand 2-3 feet away from the saw? Seems to me like it would work. I imagine the soap is designed to not harm paint..............

..laziness is the true force driving innovation.......:green chainsaw:
If you happen to go to the thread Saw Fixing, by pioneerguy 600, you will see in depth conversations between him and I about using an old dishwasher, and step by step instructions on how to do this procedure. I was doing all the asking, and he did all the answering. Hope this helps you. Bruce.

A picture says a thousand words:clap:

117202442_NWz75-M.jpg

A picture says a thousand words:clap:

117202442_NWz75-M.jpg

Man!! Some guys are lucky. I told my wife that I was going to use the dish washer to wash my saws, and she took me by the hand, and walked me out to the dog house, and told me if I ever planned on using the dish washer, that where I'd be.
Then I informed her, (you know the way), but dear, I was planning to use the old dish washer in the basement.
But I see you used the one in the kitchen. Lucky for you.
Bruce.

I can see putting individual parts in a DW, but not with dish detergent. Too caustic. Brad was recounting how it impacted the finish on the parts.

There is a non-sudsing cleanser called Soilax, which is a variant of baking soda and ammonia, to put it simply. Great for interior and ext. house paint prep. no rinsing needed cause it all evaporates. Might be good for dishwashing saws....

I think I will try the car wash, because I just want it clean so I can pull the jug and separate the tank from the case without getting sludge all over. This is a new looking 028 Super with side adjust that was run on straight gas. I hope pistons are not priced as though they are made of gold............

I can see putting individual parts in a DW, but not with dish detergent. Too caustic. Brad was recounting how it impacted the finish on the parts.

There is a non-sudsing cleanser called Soilax, which is a variant of baking soda and ammonia, to put it simply. Great for interior and ext. house paint prep. no rinsing needed cause it all evaporates. Might be good for dishwashing saws....

I think I will try the car wash, because I just want it clean so I can pull the jug and separate the tank from the case without getting sludge all over. This is a new looking 028 Super with side adjust that was run on straight gas. I hope pistons are not priced as though they are made of gold............
I have just looked up in my parts price book from Cutter's Choice, and the Cylinder Assy is $174.35, and the Piston Assy, is $55.10. Hope this gives you an Idea. I don't know if these parts are After Market, or Genuine Stihl Parts. Good Lucy. Bruce.

Back