Austrian Pine is suffering/dying. Please help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelangs2

Reaction score
Hello.

This is my first posting on this site.
We live a 1/2 hour north of Toronto in Caledon, Ontario, Canada.

About three years ago, my wife and I noticed that one of the “Austrian Pines” at the back of our property was starting to get a few branches with brown needles on them. We are used to seeing the yellow needles on all four of our Austrian Pines every fall. They are the older needles near the inner most parts of the branches that fall off every season. But the brown needles we see stay on. There is a large amount of “tree sap” running down the top of the affected tree. I can see tree sap running down the other trees as well to a lesser degree. They are not turning brown with the exception of one branch which is on the tree closest to the affected tree.

I asked a lady at a local nursery about the Brown needle problem we had with one of our trees. She said there is nothing we can do about it. She said to cut the tree down, and hope the disease or whatever it was would not enter and affect the three other Austrian pines we have. That was two years ago.

My questions are;-

• Can anyone identify from these pictures what type of problem this tree is having?
• Is there any possible treatment for this tree without cutting it down?
• If the tree has to be cut down, how can I protect the other three trees from getting disease?

Thank you for reading my post. I hope someone can give some helpful information.

Appears to be Diplodia Tip Blight. It will kill the austrian pines in due time. I did a google search and this is the first site that came up, you can do more research if you want. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3041.html
Keep the trees in good health. Spraying is best done in the early just after bud break. So you are too late this year.

Three treatments are best, spaced about 10-14 days apart. Banner, Daconil are products we use with good results. I have seen trees with the blight turn around and look very well after the following year after spraying.

Unfortunately this is a perpetual problem and treatments probably will have to be done the rest of the trees life. The fungicide does not eradicate the problems just reduces the effects on the tree. Eliminating one tree will not rid the fungus from your property.

Good Luck

Steve

Back