B and B Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMDTreeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know you get 100% of the roots in a container or bare root tree, but what is the percentage of roots on a balled and burlap tree? That question was on the MD Tree Expert test and I did not know the answer.

wrong answer, that wasn't even on there, it was multiple choice, I think the choices were 5,10,25,or 50%

According to the ISA certified arborist study guide, as much as 95% of the absorbing roots can be lost on transplanting, so your answer is 5%

B & B

Cut down seven trees today, wire in the roots. I talked to the homeowner and she said the guy that planted them told her the wire would rust away and not be a problem. He did not remove it when the (23) trees were planted and now it is killing the trees, choking the roots. 5/32" wire and it did take the edge off the chain in a hurry. I wanted to cut the roots out to see what was wrong and did not see the wire till after I hit it. And they wonder why I don't like the landscape architechs, I think she will lose the rest of the trees in the next few years.

there is a landscape company down here that i know real well that does that! He never removes the wire or the burlap and never waters any thing in after he plants it!!:angry:

I've herad 5 and 10% so it depends on the source material for the test.

For long term sucsess, I'm much more partial to bare root (BR) plantings. Bassuck of Cornell has done studies that show very high results with 1-1.5 inch caliper done by volenteers in a street tree setting.

Thank you Acer, that was my guess too, so I guess I got that one right. Thanks buddy.

with b & b palms, you get close to 100% of the
root system depending on the species. it's amazing
how small of a root ball come w/ some of the palm!
12" dbh queen palms 14-16' tall usually sport a 2'
round root ball. i've not had too much experience
w/ shade trees.....what's the average size of them?????
budroe:cool:

Spencer, the rule of thumb for digging trees for transplanting is 10" in ball diameter for every inch of diameter of the trunk. When you have established trees though, the root system can, and will go out to some trees as much as 5 times the height of the tree.

Latest posts

Back