Back to heating with wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya gotta love the wood its been in the single digits here all weekend and around zero at night my house has not been below 78 degrees nothing beats wood heat. my gas bill also is about $50 per month, hot water heater and gas range/oven.

Ahh.....the prodigal son returns! I'm curious why you stopped? I've used electric and gas heat-nothing compares to the deep.... soak you thru to the bone heat of wood stove on a cold day. QUOTE]

I got lazy, figured the gas heat would be the same and less work. But I was sadly mistaken. Before the gas heat I had electric base board heat that I never used cause of the cost and lack of warmth, thought gas would be cheaper. I would run the thermostat at 75* and still be cold.

Just like you guys, I dread going over someones house in the winter.
I was over a friends house tonight, sat there with my jacket on for four hours watching football. I told them it's freezing in their house so they turned up the heat to 70*. :dizzy:..............454

Wood heat can't be beat!

I built a "guard" that goes around the fireplace out of 3/4" square tubing to keep my toddler away from the stove. Its a good thing I made it stout, because whenever people come over they sit on the damn thing and soak up the heat. Its fun to watch.:popcorn:

I gave up using my wood stove about 4 years ago. :confused:
At that time I had gas forced hot air heat installed. Before that I heated exclusively with wood for 10 years prior. Tired of $250. gas bills a month in the winter, I went back to burning wood. Now the gas bill stays under $50. a month. :clap:
I used the extra money to invest in two new Jonsered saws,a CS 2165 and a leftover 2036.:chainsaw:

I was always cold and broke with the gas heat, now it's a toasty 85*......454

Welcome back!!

Have gone through a little over 300 bucks worth of LP in the last 3 years for heat, water heater(On demand) and stove.

Can't beat it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:monkey: so how's that GLOBAL WARMING workin' out fer ya :givebeer:

Man's influence could be slowing the cooling of the planet as solar output decreases. Whoever said man is responsible for 100% of the warming of the planet is an idiot, but I bet we have an effect – to what degree still is debatable. Either way, if solar output is declining (as it does once in awhile, as it also increases, it is a cyclical thing) we’re going to be in for a lot colder winters. I am just hoping as more people switch to wood, they are responsible and considerate of others.

We do not need wood banning in cities when people can use inserts and stoves but instead install OWB’s that smoke out their neighborhoods.

Speaking of which, as I was leaving this morning there was almost zero wind at my place. I felt my fire smelled a little strong, so increased exhaust fan and opened damper a little more, sure it means my fire will probably be a couple coals when I get home, but the adjustments means my fire is burning a lot cleaner and the exhaust fan is dispersing it better now too. I think it is our jobs as wood burning people, to be considerate to other people, if it means running a hotter fire so be it.

Tes

9*F here this AM

I loaded up the 5036 pretty good last night at about 8PM. I went out this AM and it would have gone for a few more hours. I love how it works when it's this cold. NO SMOKE at all. You have to look close to see the heat coming out of the stack. If you use good dry wood....there isn't much/any smoke. Wall St. Journal last week said when supplies get cut by OPEC the prices will boomerang past where they were due to reduction in supply and inventories. My 2-3 years of wood outside looks even nicer when it's this cold.:clap:

Its a good thing I made it stout, because whenever people come over they sit on the damn thing and soak up the heat. Its fun to watch.

I finally installed a woodstove in my house a couple weeks ago.

One of my dogs has decided it's not such a bad thing. At first every time he saw me see him he got up, he must've thought maybe he wasn't allowed.

Sometimes he's so close his head is under the stove...with 4" of coals glowing and the thermometer on the pipe reading 400º! Last night he was "toasting" himself, standing next to it, but alternating which side he had to the stove.

Just now he's living a dog's life...he's laying in front of the stove...with the sun shining on him.

I grew up in a house heated by wood, I lived in house heated by wood for three years before I bought this place...man, we didn't I hustle to get this done years ago?

I would run the thermostat at 75* and still be cold.

Just like you guys, I dread going over someones house in the winter.
I was over a friends house tonight, sat there with my jacket on for four hours watching football. I told them it's freezing in their house so they turned up the heat to 70*. :dizzy:..............454

I hear you my friend keeps his house at 65 and I need a jacket hat and gloves to stay at his house very long. If my house gets down to 75 I feel cold.

Last edited:
Took a while to convince the wife of the benefits of a stove. She had paid for a gas fire, which her dad had installed. Just had to keep on at her, then grab the bull by the horns and tear out the gas fire.
The savings on gas have already paid for the stove, and the wife loves it. She bought a big stewpot to put on the integral ring. Superb.
The house has been warmer than its ever been. I can cut as much free wood as i like and light it whenever we`re in. All day on a weekend.
Only problem is my brother and parents have seen the benefits and now come up and take my wood for their newly opened fires. Great being out with my saws, but after a days graft, seeing a big stack it soon goes if they know i`ve been busy. Bent my brothers arm though and he now does all the splitting.:) :)

Congrats for your repentance and return to the fiber fold. We too started again with wood - last winter - after many years of LP gas. We save $125-150 monthly avg using wood - even after deducts for diesel/gas/oil etc. Good to see the front porch being used for something besides shade!

Have fun. :clap:

09-08-08offload017.jpg

09-08-08offload019.jpg

We been heating with the OWB since September of this year.
This end of the house, it ranges from 78 to 80 .
Far end of house, in the last room, it is 70 and that is without a register in that room.
The whole house is WARM. I walk around barefoot. I don't even bother with a sweater or sweatshirt now. I am warm and happy :)
All these years of heating with propane and never daring to go over 70 .
Yes we only averaged 500 gallons a year, but it was always a worry about how high the price per gallon could go. And at 68 -70 degrees, had to wrap in a blanket to watch TV. And wear sweaters and or a sweatshirt.
I am so glad we are not being held hostage by the propane prices anymore.
Definitely feel like we have more control now :)

Man's influence could be slowing the cooling of the planet as solar output decreases. Whoever said man is responsible for 100% of the warming of the planet is an idiot, but I bet we have an effect – to what degree still is debatable. Either way, if solar output is declining (as it does once in awhile, as it also increases, it is a cyclical thing) we’re going to be in for a lot colder winters. I am just hoping as more people switch to wood, they are responsible and considerate of others.

We do not need wood banning in cities when people can use inserts and stoves but instead install OWB’s that smoke out their neighborhoods.

Speaking of which, as I was leaving this morning there was almost zero wind at my place. I felt my fire smelled a little strong, so increased exhaust fan and opened damper a little more, sure it means my fire will probably be a couple coals when I get home, but the adjustments means my fire is burning a lot cleaner and the exhaust fan is dispersing it better now too. I think it is our jobs as wood burning people, to be considerate to other people, if it means running a hotter fire so be it.

Tes

:angry2: burn it hotter!!!! Gives ya' an excuse to cut more:cheers:

burn it hotter!!!! Gives ya' an excuse to cut more

Heck'yeah :chainsaw: I love my new MS310 :chainsaw:I was looking at my wood pile and my inlaws lastnight, I am not comfortable because we started heating in mid oct that we have enough wood to get us through the season. I'd rather not touch the secret emergency oak stash (20" - 40" rounds, averaging 10' - 15' feet in length, about 12 of them, been off the ground for about three years now, should be nice and sweet :p) so I guess it will be a couple cord hickory/maple run down south this weekend and another one next weekend :)

30 pack of beer in the van, attach trailer, load saws, chains, explain to wife need to make sure we have enough wood - head down south, meet up with the boys, get some wood cut and drink some beer :p And I call that work LOL! Best kept secret there is! ;)

:givebeer:

Tes

We have a wood stove in the finished basement and propane heat and I heat my shop with a double barrel wood stove. I am constantly cold upstairs in the house because me wife keeps it at 65*, but I keep it at 75* in the basement where my big screen is.

She is willing to load the stove and light the fire, so I'm thinking about planting the seeds of an OWB. I don't think it would be too much of a push. We are about 40 miles from Beatrice Nebraska where the Heatsource 1 OWB's are made. I've been searching the threads here to get some more background.

Looks like probably 10-12 cords a year. I can handle that. Need to have an excuse to run my new 361 anyway. I actually like cutting and splitting wood. We burn about 5 cords a year now between the stove and the shop.

Well, back to my searching.

Back