Backhoe wood splitter Improvements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawmute

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I built this wood splitter attachment for my backhoe last winter and am always trying to make it better, more functional etc. Recently I added the following features that are showing themselves to be very useful.

1. A detachable (just hooks on) wood ramp that is 5 feet long and about 13-14" wide. I made spring loaded anti-rollback bars and placed them along each side. These allow round wood to roll over them then they spring back up and won't let the wood roll back. The ramp will pivot in any direction to suit whatever slope the boom is. The universal joint method even allows the ramp to be used When I use the splitter in a near vertical position. The pivoted foot frame allow the whole thing to be set up level and used as a work platform while splitting wood.

The bucket attachment and linkage pins on the hoe boom were used to mount the assembly.

2. A pair of split wood returns (bringer-backers) that are very loosely connected to the truck assembly (wood pusher). These have proven to be a great labor saver. When wood is split you often want to resplit (sometimes multiple times such as with kindling) and these split wood retractors or "bringer backers" as I jokingly refer to them - keep me from having to bend over and pick up all of the split pieces, even though a piece will sometimes fall off.

They are VERY loosely connected (threaded 1/2" studs) to the truck assembly. This loose connection allows them not to be damaged when twisted grain or other unruly wood trys to mess things up.

We started heating with wood again last winter so my tired old bones needed some hydraulic assistance. The whole thing works great and is largely built out of metal I had on hand. The Cylinder rod pin I turned on a 9" lathe and then welded it to the plate truck assembly. I have split 4 or 5 cords with it so far and can do it right in the woods.

Here are a few drawings of what I have made so far. Mines not all painted yet so these pictures are much more explanatory than a lot of unpainted iron. Some welds are shown unpainted.

Thought this might give somebody a few ideas or that you could improve on what I've done. I don't have $50 in the whole thing and it can be removed easily and the bucket re-attached. The tractor is a Kubota L4200 and the backhoe is a 9ft. Bradco.

SplitterNotedCompressed.jpg

WHOLE ASSEMBLY

SplitterPartial.jpg

ENLARGED PARTIAL VIEW

Great job Clawmute! Looks like a great design. I really like your (Bring-Backers) How do you operate it from the seat or do you have a remote valve located close at hand? I have a 20hp Terramite backhoe that i was thinking about doing something like this myself.

Thanks, RodneyG

I built this wood splitter attachment for my backhoe last winter and am always trying to make it better, more functional etc.
That's a heck of a job you have done. Both hardware and software. Great to utilize the power unit of the backhoe. Pump and hydraulic system waiting to be used.
Also, for others, why not build the splitter as an attachment like a bucket, (keep the thumb) that way you can split big rounds without lifting by hand, and also, drop all the split wood in a pile. With a long stroke cylinder you can pick up 2 rounds at the time and split both in one stroke. All splitting made from the seat....
Just an idea...:laugh:
I wonder what software you are using for the drawings?
:blob2:

Controls consists of a "T" post made of 1/2" pipe that fits over a bar welded to the left of where the ramp assy is. There is another branch below the tee post that has a vertical handle on it.

A cable goes from each side of the tee and around a small pulley that is affixed to the outrigger (typical each side) the cable on each side attaches to the joy stick.

The outriggers are positioned so that the correst (best) cable operating tension is had. These photos aren't the latest but they give you an idea of what I'm describing.

My next step is to make another control handle and a set of shorter cables for using the splitter in the upright position which I do from time to time.

DSC01346.jpg

CABLES GOING TO JOY STICK

DSC01348.jpg

CABLES ATTACHMENT TO JOY STICK, JUST A PIPE COUPLING W/HOOKED BAR EACH SIDE

DSC01347.jpg

I TURNED THESE SMALL WIRE ROPE SHEAVES ON MY LATHE AND ATTACHED THEM TO PIECES OF 3/4" SQ. TUBING WHICH ARE IN TURN BOLTED TO THE OUTRIGGER FRAMING. SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE.

DSC01329-1.jpg

ATTACHMENT TO OUTRIGGER

DSC01328-1.jpg

I KEEP THE BACKHOE/SPLITTER ON THE TRACTOR ALL FALL AND WINTER AFTER FALL PLANTING IS DONE. I JUST WRAP THE CABLE AROUND THE JOY STICK FIXTURE UNTIL I'M READY TO SPLIT AGAIN.

Frank

Back