Baileys Ring Compressor won't work on 029/039?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Am I missing something or does this ring compressor I bought from Baileys for $5.00 not work on an MS290/390? It looks like this "tool" is designed to work with a piston and cylinder where the cylinder barrel projects down to the base. The MS290 has the base shaped to fit around the crank bearings and seals so the actual cylinder barrel is further up. This ring compressor wont reach up that far as the tabs used to hold the rings together hit the base before it reaches the actual cylinder. If I push the piston any further up the rings just pop out of the ring compressor before they even get "close" to being inside the cylinder. I shot a few photos to try and help illustrate what I'm trying to explain. Is there something I'm doing wrong here or does this tool simply not work on a MS290? Any suggestions or should I just cut an old beer can/hose clamp technique?
Thanks

Just go to your stihl dealer an spend $4 -5 for the tool that makes it easy...
I use one...

attachment.php

Last edited:
A lot of Stihl dealers won't sell tools and ipl/manuals.

They think that they are exclusive, like NASA.........

Sad but true...............

When I rebuild a 290/310/390 I just take my time, and cut a plastic bottle to the right circumference, and line up the rings. Then use the bottle as a ring compressor/guide to slide the piston up into the bore. (Everything is coated with copius quantities of 2-stroke oil). Has worked very well for me every time!

Well they figure that if they can post on the internet........................

There may be some bucks there..................

Latest posts

Back