balloons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I swear I find an average 2-3 old broken balloons, the helium ones, some still with string, out in the woods, PER WEEK. Every time a little surprise. Fascinating. I just have a hard time coming to grips with the implications of this.

Funny. There's a lengthy thread on this subject on the mostly treehugger hiking forum I sometimes take part in. They find the balloons deplorable. I find them cheery. I'm always hoping to find one of those balloons with a postcard to send back. I've put some of the mylar ones with happy messages up on trees--just one of those things one gets the urge to do when in the woods.

Our area seems to be the spot where a lot of the balloons self destruct. And yes, I do pack them out to throw away too. Usually only the ribbon remains intact.

I have never found regular balloons but I did find a weather balloon a long time ago sent it in and I got a nice letter back and yes I pack any trash out i find in the woods

the implications to which I was referring would be the sheer quantity of helium balloons purchased out there- I guess its a secret gold mine of an industry.

Really, the litter thing is more of a sentimental issue I think, unless its going to really choke a baby seal or something. But, I still cringe when guys I work with litter lunch packaging- but I choose my battles more selectively with them.

Interesting you have them too SlowP, its not just a Appalachian phenomenon. Its a nation wide industry!

Yea i see em all the time. . . . I would say i see about that a week

There has got to be millions out there floatin around. . . . .I remember going to the fair with my little bro when he was small, he would ask to get one, and then hold it for about 15 seconds and then let it go and jump up and down laughing his head off . . . .then ask for another.

I'm thinking it has to do with living in mountainous areas. The balloons can't get enough elevation (I'm trying not to laugh cuz I'm picturing the Mickey Mouse balloons screaming "Release the gas, Release more gas...) and crash into the woods. I don't recall seeing any in Wisconsin.

When I was about 12 I found one. We were peeling popple for dad. Funny thing was it was in Northern Wi and the balloon had a return address of lower Michigan. Sent it to the kid and he sent me back a nice letter.

Did it go around the world or just a little easterly wind?

Likely, I'd say, it went around the world.

Naturally, since posting this, I don't think I've seen a soingle balloon. Maybe I'm too busy scanning for reptiles, as its definately the season now.

snakes,i live at 8600'elev.and about three years ago the crew and i were lopping brush at what i want to say the 6500 to 7000'range when we came accross a three foot diamond back with a nasty temper,would have never thought to look for reptiles that high up around here,old timer down the canyon said he had never seen one til a couple years back,now he sees them all the time,one more thing to keep an eye out for...

Back