Bar Mounted Filer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local stihl dealer wants $109.00 for the stihl bar mounted filer. Northern Tool carries a Granberg model for $29.95(excluding shipping). Does it really matter what brand is used?

I normally just use a hand held file. But I'm now in a situtaion that will require frequent sharpenings...

Any advice as to other bar mounted filers??

mark

In my experience a bar mount filer is alot slower. Just learn how to do handheld really well and you can just do that. The cutters have the angle etched into the top of them so you really don't even need a guide. I use a dremel rotary tool with a stihl grinding head on it, it works for all 3 of my saws and changing it up is as simple as changing a drill bit. Not to mention it is lightning quick and takes me about one tenth of the time as hand sharpening

I've never used the dremel. I do have a stihl portable saw sharpener that works off the truck battery...but it's a PITA to use. I need something that's easy to use on the job site, and that I can carry where ever I go. Guess I'll
stay with the file and save the battery powered sharpener for home.

thank you...

mark

i have the granberg and it works a treat. there are some tuning mods you can do to make it a little nicer. search the chainsaw forum for them.

I use the Husqvarna/Oregon Precision Bar-Mount Filing Guide Sharpener. I have sharpened some really awfully dull chains with it and it gives good results if you are patient and work on one cutter at a time and don't rush. Because it is a hand sharpener you will get better as far as feeling the bite of the file the more you use it. It dials in all the correct angles. You attach it with thumb screws to the bar and move it down from one cutter to the next as you complete the sharpening.

Anyone else use one?

Last edited:
sharpener

stihl have fg1 5603 012 7510 its the same as the oregon one and is good but slow. they used to use the granberg one with same result. and they do have there own dear but a bit stronger. the main thing to know is what to look for in a blunt chain. the idea is to see how much chrome is worn off. than get it back to where it should be and keep booth sides the same...than if you race it ????? keep looking on here some one will give you some ideas.. stihl and oregon both have good books on basics but i can't find them for part numbers:chainsaw:

After using the precision sharpener for a while you get the hang of it (like learning anything new I guess). What I like is the fact that you can get the chain back fairly close to factory specs as far as the angles.

I could never be that accurate doing it freehand although I can touch up the cutters. The only thing that you have to juggle with is setting up the depth of the file so the top of the cutter is 20% below the diameter of the file (this is done by eyeball with an adjustment screw). The difference between 20%-25%-30%, etc. is the toughtest part for me to gage. I will give it a couple licks and if I'm getting too much of a hook I raise the file up a hair.

I'm thinking the side of the cutter is a little more important than the top as far as sharpness. A slight hook will probably slow things down a bit. Any thoughts? I'd like to see a real close up movie in slow motion of a cutter actually doing it's cutting. I'd like to see this for different types of wood too.

The three sisters (dogs) help me keeping the woods behing my house free of critters when I'm cutting. They hear a chainsaw, they come running. They enjoy toying with the smaller limbs, getting into big tug-of-wars. They are big talkers and like to get into barking contests with the foxes that live in the area. Shut UP!!!

Last edited:
does that work with a square grind file?

butchered chain...

So i have one of those oregon bar mounted sharpeners...I am fairly certain i butchered the chain that came with my husky 55...on the other hand my second chain is a carlton semi chisel that i have very little problems sharpening...and it worked ta boot.

One thing i noticed on the Husky chain is that the rakers were all over the place...it is the first time the chain has been sharpened...

any other tips on setting up the guide for diffrent chains? how do you know what angles to put it at if you don't have the specs for the chain (i poked around but no were could i find "30deg this way" 10/0deg that way etc.

Ok thanks for listening to me..maybe i will take some close of ups of my butchered and non butchered chains...ended up buying another husky chain at Lowes cause i needed another chain...free wood was a callin...

Thanks

Stew

Over hear we use stihl semi chisel for firewood, red, grey yellow box and red gum. stihl make chain to fit any think.husky 55 can run 3/8 058@64/68 dl or .325 058.
Make sure you that the chrome coating on the chain isn't worn to much.
30 deg and zero for semi.jc

does that work with a square grind file?

No.

My local stihl dealer wants $109.00 for the stihl bar mounted filer. Northern Tool carries a Granberg model for $29.95(excluding shipping). Does it really matter what brand is used?

I normally just use a hand held file. But I'm now in a situtaion that will require frequent sharpenings...

Any advice as to other bar mounted filers??

mark

I think the stihl is the best guide it's smoother, all metal and is capable of more precision, however it doesn't offer the range of adjustment that the others do, but it's fine (the ultimate) if you'r just gonna round file with it. I have an Oregon that I'm modifing to use a sq file.

The only guide that is currently made for sq fileing is the A-top. I have one and it's very simple to use.

Later,

I use the Husqvarna/Oregon Precision Bar-Mount Filing Guide Sharpener. I have sharpened some really awfully dull chains with it and it gives good results if you are patient and work on one cutter at a time and don't rush. Because it is a hand sharpener you will get better as far as feeling the bite of the file the more you use it. It dials in all the correct angles. You attach it with thumb screws to the bar and move it down from one cutter to the next as you complete the sharpening.

Anyone else use one?
I used to use one of these filers from Oregon for a long time. 6 years ago I purchased a TecoMec FL-136 grinding machine, and I love it. You can't beat that grinder. Don't get me wrong, I still use the Bar mount filer, to cut down one raker, and use the grinder for the rest.
Prior to the grinder, I used to take 1 hour to sharpen 4, 20" chains. With the grinder, I can sharpen 8, 20" chains in an hour. If I do the rakers at the same time, I can do 4 chains in an hour. The edge from the grinder for some reason, dont know why, but seams to last longer than with the file.
Just my thoughts on the subject. Bruce.

Latest posts

Back