Barber chair - Yikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should he have done?

• Total voters
I've seen and commented on this vid or one like it before, This is what happens when you pause or stall a leaner, he should have kept cutting without stopping, its the pause that allowed it to stall and build all that pressure on the hinge, if he had kept cutting the pressure would have released itself through a smaller hinge wood and gravity would have taken over.

Also dude needs a bigger saw if he wants to mess around with leaners, and conventional cutting methods, more power = faster cutting, the alternative is to waste all day using the GOL cut or Swedish stump dance

We all love our saws dearly but let the damn thing go! He about fell flat on his face on top of the saw. Northy I think I remember this being posted sometime back or seeing it somewhere. Good lesson in what not to do.

Yes , Olympic it was posted on here quit some time back. IIRC it received rave reviews then also:)

In 1943 there was a big flood on the Illinois river. The water was out so long it killed a bunch of the big silver maples in the river bottoms. My great uncle was falling them and skidding them out of the bottoms, with what idk, maybe horses. His son, my dads first cousin cut a big one that was leaning hard out over a slough. it barber chaired and snapped back and hit him in the shoulder. That was before reconstructive surgery no doubt and he was left maimed. My dad told me he would be in so bad of pain sometimes he would cry like a baby and sometimes scream and writhe around like a banshee. Needless to say when my dad started teaching me about falling, he was a fanatic about leaners. I never approach a bad one without thinking about that story.

The guy in the video is lucky it didn't slab out toward him. He obviously set the whole thing up but he didn't have enough brains to run when he should have. A 'chair sometimes sounds different than the usual falling noises...longer and more pronounced. But not always.
As barberchairs go that one was fairly mild. I've seen some that came out right at you and then broke off before the 'chair effect ended. The broken piece, always big enough to kill you, usually falls where you were standing.
Watch too where he walked back in immediately after the 'chair happened. He never bothered to look up till he was already in the kill zone.
I know the guy wanted to show what a 'chair was and do another one of those "ain't I a manly man" videos but I don't think I'd want him cutting anywhere near me. No sense.

jahq8y.jpg

Back