Barn Raising!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the link!!
Here is a borrowed picture showing the end results of pine tar on rifle stocks made out of birch wood.
The seller on ebay of pine tar has pictures of some 75 stocks retreated with pine tar from me a few years back.
It will act as a stain, giving a nice brown stain & bring out highlites on figered wood.
Some collectors of Finish firearms I know, were in the dark for years on what to use to help restore the rifles.. The Finns used pine tar on their skis as well to perserve them.

Last edited:
tell us more about the pine tar What have you used it on how long til recoat ect. Thanks

I didn't know pine tar was still available. As a young man we used it as an antiseptic for fresh wounds on animals and thinned with kerosene as a stain.
Good stuff

I didn't know pine tar was still available. As a young man we used it as an antiseptic for fresh wounds on animals and thinned with kerosene as a stain.
Good stuff
You don't mix kerosene with a preservative like pine tar for wood use.
Around homes & indoor use that would not be smart.
THe whole idea is to use it for the safety of the fumes which would only be the pine odor.
For clean up just use a paint thinner soaked rag.
The poor picture of the pine deck was taken about 2 years ago when I was about to replace over 1/2 of the deck boards when I thought about using the pine tar instead. The boards straighten up that was warped & the splits closed up most of the way. And it still looks great.

You don't mix kerosene with a preservative like pine tar for wood use.
Around homes & indoor use that would not be smart.
THe whole idea is to use it for the safety of the fumes which would only be the pine odor.
For clean up just use a paint thinner soaked rag.
The poor picture of the pine deck was taken about 2 years ago when I was about to replace over 1/2 of the deck boards when I thought about using the pine tar instead. The boards straighten up that was warped & the splits closed up most of the way. And it still looks great.

Nope, I am not very smart, I guess I had better not use any more paint thinner either, what am I thinking?
Kerosene like used to be available was not the K1 that is called kerosene these days. It thinned the tar and evaporated down like paint and varnish thinner.
Yep we took some chances in the old days, but the old gun stocks looked good , but of course they were old flintlocks. I am sure surprised the stocks didn't just evaporate when the powder was ignited in the flash pan.
I know you guys remember the original kerosene.

Last edited:
Nope, I am not very smart, I guess I had better not use any more paint thinner either, what am I thinking?
Kerosene like used to be available was not the K1 that is called kerosene these days. It thinned the tar and evaporated down like paint and varnish thinner.
Yep we took some chances in the old days, but the old gun stocks looked good , but of course they were old flintlocks. I am sure surprised the stocks didn't just evaporate when the powder was ignited in the flash pan.
I know you guys remember the original kerosene.
Well I remember what they called coal oil, But I am more concerned about odors inside a closed building.
The logs keeping a offensive odor & how long.
Not trying to be rude but they have odor free thinners out there now.
But myself I never used thinner on pine tar, straight out of the bucket did the job for me.

Well I remember what they called coal oil, But I am more concerned about odors inside a closed building.
The logs keeping a offensive odor & how long.
Not trying to be rude but they have odor free thinners out there now.
But myself I never used thinner on pine tar, straight out of the bucket did the job for me.

I can't say about using pine tar in an enclosed building. I have used it for historically correct stain on reproduction rifles such as flintlocks and percussion . It has been a few years. I was surprised pine tar still was available, just never had the occasion to use it. No offense about the odorless thinners and such.

Latest posts

Back