Best Fire Wood (poll)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the overall best fire wood to burn

• Birch (white, yellow or black)

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Maple (hard or sugar)

Votes: 33 12.1%
  • Oak (all of them)

Votes: 137 50.4%
  • Poplars or aspens

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Hickories, beeches, gum or other nut trees

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Fruit trees, orange, apple, cherry...

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Elms

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Iron wood

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Conifers (pine, spruce, fir, cedar, larch, hemloc...)

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Free Wood

Votes: 93 34.2%

• Total voters
I have quite a bit of Honey Locust, but I wont harvest it anymore. The damn borer beetles have a huge liking for it, and have bored it out so much that its basically crap firewood now. This is the second year that has happened. It is mixed in with the rest of my firewood (Ash, Hackberry, Mulberry, Osage Orange, and some elm). They dont bother that stuff near as much.

MAN I hate bugs!!!

:dizzy:

Ash has already won the poll, even though OP failed to include it as an option. 'Tis a shame considering the quality of the product. Note how well that ash and mulberry burn together. Add locust and elm to the same fire, and suddenly you have a strong MALE:
Mulberry
Ash
Locust
Elm

I like Ash until the temps hit the single digits, when it becomes time to break out the Red, or even better, White Oak.You'll really appreciate the superior coaling as you are loading it at minus 20 and you have a 6" deep coal bed.

I like Ash until the temps hit the single digits, when it becomes time to break out the Red, or even better, White Oak.You'll really appreciate the superior coaling as you are loading it at minus 20 and you have a 6" deep coal bed.
The temp actually hits -20 F in Kansas? I thought that was reserved for Nebraska, Iowa, and points north. :dizzy:

I have a cord of mulberry waiting in the lurch along with pin oak and a twinge of locust. We are already having single-digit wind chills. Heating Degree Days are ahead of last year.

I am a displaced Minnesotan.Nice to speak of such things in the past tense.I once had a deal with a tree service company in which I would pay $100 a truck(about 6 cords) for Oak and $50 for Ash, which nobody else wanted.I burned the Ash and sold the Oak, which is all anybody will buy up there.I always think a mix burns better than straight anything.

Most guys in my area of Pa. wouldn't even handle birch. Wood is sold as hard wood, not soft stuff like pine, hemlock, birch poplar etc. Plenty of oak in my back yard, red and white. I, however, am cutting anything in my way which so far includes oak, pine, hemlock, ash, maple, white birch, cherry and even a bit of sassafras. Didn't believe the guys that told me " if it fits thru the door, it'll burn, but now I'm a believer. Its just a matter now of finding wood that wont burn, but it seems at this point it will be stuff thats falling apart in your arms.

** the sassafras smells really good when you cut it and light as a feather to handle. Obviously doesn't last long but its something to throw in the door..

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back