Best length to cut white oak for lumber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtaviator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently felled a decent sized white oak on my property that is around 24 inches diameter. I have used the top portion above where it started branching out as firewood. This leaves me with a little under 15 feet of straight knot free trunk that I would like to have sawn into boards for future use in furniture making. My question is, should i just cut the trunk in half or an 8' and a 7' section or what? I dont have a good way to transport it in one piece although i MIGHT be able to borrow a trailer to do it. Also, approximately what would this trunk weigh?

Thanks for the help guys

mtaviator said:
I recently felled a decent sized white oak on my property that is around 24 inches diameter. I have used the top portion above where it started branching out as firewood. This leaves me with a little under 15 feet of straight knot free trunk that I would like to have sawn into boards for future use in furniture making. My question is, should i just cut the trunk in half or an 8' and a 7' section or what? I dont have a good way to transport it in one piece although i MIGHT be able to borrow a trailer to do it. Also, approximately what would this trunk weigh?

Thanks for the help guys

My thoughts. Leave it fifteen feet. Any mill should be able to handle that. Before another day goes by, paint each end with a quality OIL based paint to seal the ends before it dries any farther. Special sealers are made for this but any OIL based paint will work. I'd guess it weighs around 2,300 lbs.

thanks for the info, I'll get some paint on it ASAP. Once that is done is there any timeframe i need to get it sawn up in or will it be ok laying on my property for a while?

mtaviator said:
thanks for the info, I'll get some paint on it ASAP. Once that is done is there any timeframe i need to get it sawn up in or will it be ok laying on my property for a while?

Hard to say, I don't know your weather conditions. I'd not wait too awful long. Keep it constant wet and it should last until summer fresh as the day it was cut.

Latest posts

Back