Best time of year to fell trees to split for firewood (eucalyptus nitens). I'm well down under, in the Southern hemisphere.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 187757

Reaction score
I have a decent stand of 30yo eucalyptus nitens. Is there an optimal time of year to fell these that makes for easy splitting? I've had mixed results but to me, it seems that if I drop them before the sap starts rising (Aug) it makes for easier splitting, no matter how long it takes me to ring them up.

Never thought about a time of year. Always just try n split it fairly soon after ringing them up. Also get logs brought in and no control when they were cut.

Ahh bluegum always fun but always worth it

Good to see another kiwi. Good few here now

Cut up a bit of E. nitens if there is a very easy load left on the log landing thats been through the processor. Here in Tasmania its not 30 years old, though, more like 15. Its quick grown, so not real dense and is only good at the start and end of the burning season, but if its easy got, then it saves burning good wood when your only looking to take the chill off the room.

None of the eucalypts Ive encountered split any differently at particular times of the year, and they are all better when green off the stump. Main thing is to split soon after cutting blocks, otherwise when the ends dry its tougher to split. But ive never split any nitens that Id call tough to split, although different growing conditions to here might mean things are different.

Back